News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Inuvik, NWT & Alaska

Started by sleddog, October 16, 2014, 09:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleddog

Thought I'd throw this out here in case anyone else is planning on going North next year. I'm going to Inuvik, NWT & Alaska next summer. Maybe fly from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk too!
I'm leaving the 1st part of June & will be wiggling my way to Dust 2 Dawson on the 18th & 19th. I'll probably do some more off road exploring on the way through BC & will be going up (& back) through Hyder & the Cassier. Camping the majority of the time. I'll be going to Fairbanks & Denali & possibly Anchorage. I've been to Stewart but not Homer. 

Anyone interested, or have suggestions (for even part of the trip) lets talk. I've attached a tentative route.

Lonesome Dave

OMG.....that would be so cool.  My wife said she's jealous, and she doesn't even ride.  Wacked & GB, are there bugs up there?

I'm having trouble getting the link to work.  Anyone else or is it just me.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

That would be a fantastic trip! Unfortunately I can't get that much time off work.  But, I do have friends in Fairbanks and Glen Allen so maybe I could leave my bike there, fly home and come back later to ride home??
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Even before I read your response Dave, I said to myself, "Not sure if he knows that the bug problem he encountered on the GDR would PALE in comparison the bugs in Alaska." It is well known that the 3 Places in US with the worst Mosquito problems are,  The Florida Keys, The Maine Allagash Wilderness and Alaska. It can be Very, very bad.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Sleddog, what bike are you planning on taking?

jacin theis

I cant open that file type either. I would love to do this trip, and have researched it a bit. The. Keep us informed as details work out...... You never know how things go. I would try to get to Fairbanks and Denali too.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

sleddog

The reasons I threw this out now is to get some interest sparked. I'm not looking for riders to commit. I letting you know I'm going & if you want to tag along fine. If you want to ride a portion that's good too.  If you start thinking about it, you'll see it's doable. Maybe not all of it but....You'll see way more than if you stay home.  From Rapid City to Hyder, AK it is about 2000 miles...easy to do in 2 weeks. I've been to Hyder 5 times & each time was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! Don't wait until you can do  "The trip of a lifetime" you can't see it all in one trip anyway, so why try.  Two years ago my brother & I took our small bikes through BC on all dirt & gravel to Hyder. Then on up to Watson Lake in the Yukon & back down the Alaskan Hiway, & home, in two weeks.

How about a "Ride Share"....can't do the entire trip? Maybe you ride up & fly home, someone else fly up & ride back.......I'm sure something could be worked out. Others have done it that way.

I'm planning to ride the wee Strom & have been prepping the bike. Shakedown is a trip to Mexico next month.....

I tried to attach a gpx file for those having trouble opening the route but, it's too big for attachments.

Hank

Sleddog - email me the file and I'll put up a dropbox link.

I'll PM you my email address.

sleddog

Quote from: Hank on October 17, 2014, 10:03:23 AM
Sleddog - email me the file and I'll put up a dropbox link.

I'll PM you my email address.

Done. Thank you Hank

Hank

Wacked

Shhhhhhhhhh........

GB, don't tell Dave about those little bastard "White Socks".  You know how much he appreciates a couple of Mosquitos in the neighborhood ;)

Wacked

greatbuffalo

He could bring his Joseph Merrick headbag with him for protection.

sleddog

Well, the time is getting closer....Departure date is June 1st. I've got an "Off Pavement" route planned from home to Quesnel, BC
If anyone would like to join in on any part of the ride...even a day or two; give me a shout.

Here is a screenshot of the map. Green = the route up.....Yellow = the route back. Other colors are things to possibly check out or places I've ridden before.

Lonesome Dave

Jack that looks like a lot of fun.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Harry Potter

Looking at the portion of the route from US to Prince George, this is perhaps the fastest but least scenic way to go. This route hits probably the most boring ride in British Columbia. My suggestion would be go north out of Bonner's Ferry Idaho to Creston, to Revelstok, through Golden to the Columbia Ice Fields, to Jasper, and then to Prince George. Coming into Prince George from the South is like driving across eastern Colorado. Carry some 5 hour energy drink to stay awake. There is a section Litton to Lillyloot (two L towns) that follows I think it is called Fraser Valley that I will do again, best ride in that area. Sorry for not taking time to look at a map to verify the spellings. I've got 2017 marked off for my 5th ride to Alaska for those interested.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.