News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Railroad Buttes and Indian Creek

Started by Lonesome Dave, October 19, 2014, 07:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Today, Jim and I decided to do the Indian Creek ride starting at Farmingdale/Railroad Buttes and to the east into Indian Creek.  This ride or actually a larger version was talked about this spring, but just never happened.  see link; http://www.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=1484.msg12784#msg12784  I called Woody, but it was his wife's birthday and he was gone all day yesterday, so he couldn't go.  And, I knew others were out of town.  So, it was just Jim and I.  Just before leaving, I saw Vickers427 post this morning.  Gave him a call, he answered very reluctantly, "A.....Hello."   "Hey, Jim and I are going to Farmingdale and east you want to come along", "sure....,no I'm awake....,where do you want to meet." 

So the three of us met at Farmingdale store and took off.  It was a beautiful day and NO wind, I mean really NO wind!  Once again I observed how fast Jim and Austin can ride, but I always found them.  They are always in such a hurry!  The ride and scenery was absolutely great.  Indian Creek was awesome.  Just don't plan on riding through there when it rained recently.  We crossed the creek at least 15 times.  Here's the two pictures I took.

We came out on the highway about 13 miles south of Scenic.  There's a possibility of make this a small loop, but most would be back tracking.  Jim headed for home and Austin and I went to "Sheep Mountain Table."  We met a new friend there, his name is Rattlesnake Jack.  He didn't seem very friendly.  Almost forgot, we also saw two mountain goats at Sheep Mountain, sorry no pics of them.

It was a great day, and I would highly recommend this ride.  Next year, we will have to make sure the above loop gets completed, but not on a hot summer day.  Or, this ride might actually be doable this winter, depending on the snow cover.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

There are a lot of crossings like this one.

Indian Creek is a fun trail, would be nicer if it was a loop though.

greatbuffalo

Thanks for the write up. Never done that trail. I'll have to do it some time.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

sleddog

GB, when you finish the Western portion of the TSDAT you'll be on it!

greatbuffalo

Cool. Thinking about doing that in the spring. Is there a way around those mud holes if we get more moisture than we want?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !