News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Need some KLR insight

Started by greatbuffalo, November 15, 2014, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

My kids KLR 2nd gen started to make a very strange noise just before the rally this fall. It makes a noise like the chain in bunching up before rolling over the drive sprocket. It does it when the bike starts to lope off the power. Since then we checked over the rear brake assembly, replaced the chain with a better chain as the one that was on it was very tight and thought it wasn't straightening out before it rolled over the front sprocket. We changed the cush drive on the advise of someone I trust. replaced bearings while we where there. There doesn't seem to be any play in the output shaft but that doesn't mean much.

My latest idea is that maybe the "doohicky" spring went bad. Does anyone know what the symptoms of a messed up doohicky is??

Anyone have any other bright ideas before we get to the point of cracking the case?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Did you try a stethoscope on the left side of the engine?    The doo is the tensioner arm for the balancer chain, so it it is broken it could be that chain noise you are hearing.    I would definitely take a look and replace it if it hasn't been.   I've replaced 3, and 1 had a broken spring.   The "doos" (the lever) were fine, but I know if they fail it can be pretty catastrophic.

Its an easy job.   I have the wrench and the flywheel puller, be happy to mail them to you if you need them.

greatbuffalo

Ya, Hank, that's what I thought about the chain noise. If you want to send me those tools, it would be very appreciated. I'll PM you the address.

Thanks
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?