News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trials tire

Started by grubbie, November 26, 2014, 08:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

time for a new tire.....talked to a few of you about trials tires, and did a little research. Thinking about trying a Pirelli MT43. One thing I can't seem to find is how it does on gravel. I would like a little less slide on loose gravel. Anyone running one of these? The last two tire changes, I have been running Michelin T63 rear, I have really liked it in the mud and terrain we have here, but in the Black Hills mud not so much. And the snow and mud we rode at Deerfield last fall, it was horrible. It also wears out FAST. Since I liked the T63 rear I put one on the front to replace the original deathwing........I want the deathwing back. The T63 seems to wash out worse than the stock tire. Keeping the Black Hills area in mind, any suggestions for a front tire on the WRR when running a trials tire on the rear?

Lonesome Dave

I'm not a great judge of the tire, but I can tell you Wacked, Robmcgrn, PegLeg & I were all running the MT43 on the rear. Wacked ran this tire until there was nothing left this past summer.  My tire is also almost gone with around 2500 miles on it.  I too had
a lot of trouble at Deerfield this fall, but everyone did.  I liked the tire and never had any problems with asphalt or gravel and loved it
In the rocks.  However in the mud, not so much.  I'm sure if my rear tire hadn't been in the last 20% of its life at Deerfield, it would have been better.  So next spring, I need a new rear tire, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I liked everything about the MT43 except mud. 

Last year I ran Dunlop Geomax MX71 on both the front and rear.  Really liked them in the mud and dirt, but I just didn't trust them on
asphalt or much on gravel.  Even worse, I could practically see the rubber wearing off by the end of a day.  They also weren't DOT rated and both tires eventually separated and split on the face of the tire before they were completely worn out.  (But hey, I'm cheap)

At the recommendation of Wacked, I tried a DOT rated Pirelli MT21 on the front.  I liked it and really haven't had any issues on any
surfaces.  Even with the Deerfield mud.  So, I might put one on the rear next spring.  However, Woody just put the Kenda K270 on his
WRR.  I've always like the looks of them, and I had them on my KLR.  I didn't like them at first, but once broke in they were fine.  They certainly are cheap.  Sold the KLR to Great Buffalo and he wore them out.  Don't know how long they lasted. 

So for me, I think its going to be the MT21 or the K270 in the spring.  I just want a little more open tread pattern to clear the mud out
than what the MT43 can do.  I don't really like riding in the mud, and if I never had to ride in it again, I would buy the MT43.  Its really my only complaint. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

woodsrider 53 RCSD

The Kenda  k 270 on the rear seems to work fine so far but have not ran in to a mud situation like we had at Deerfield yet. As for the front I put a Kenda Trak master k 760 on and the only problem i have noticed with this tire is at 70 mph it gets a little washy not sure if this could be fixed with balancing or not . Gauge at MX connection suggested this tire  and for $63.00 I would purchase another one .I don`t expect to get a lot of life out of this tire. Just good front end stability. It is a DOT Tire.

tannerc

I have been happy with the Motoz Enduro i/t front tire. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/motoz-tractionator-enduro-i-t-intermediate-terrain-front-tire/908-080-100-21.aspx?sd=true
I have only used it one season and it felt confidence inspiring. I don't know how it will do as it wears.  I can not suggest the motoz rear, it seemed to last a decent amount of time but I was not happy with its performance in the hills.

I was using Pirelli Scorpion XCMH front tires because they are dot, lasted a while, heavy duty! Really heavy duty can run flat they have such a stiff carcass. But they seem to hunt around on the gravel and felt kinda washy when you pushed them hard in a loose corner.

I am waiting for someone to give one of these a try

http://www.mandhtires.com/TERAFLEX-140-80-18--M105#.VHdKucnzjkc
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Bogus Jim

I have run the T63, 606, and MT21 on my WRR. Haven't tried MT43 yet. I agree the T63 front does seem to wash out pretty easy and I won't buy another set.

My favorite of the three (for a dual sport bike) is the MT21, both front and rear. 606 is a close 2nd but quite a bit noisier on pavement. I run about 18 psi in the MT21 front, if you run it any higher it seems to wander a bit on pavement.

The front knobs may eventually wear a bit funny on both the MT21 and 606, but I usually flip the tire around and get another 1-1.5k miles out of it.

grubbie

Thanks for all the input, think I'm gonna try MT43 rear. My front T63 isn't worn out yet, almost tempted to change it out anyway. Might try the K270 on front.