News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Yamaha Triple

Started by Bogus Jim, July 11, 2013, 02:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

I guess the FZ-09 was announced about a month ago, but I don't follow the street bikes that closely. Wet weight under 420 lbs.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/685/0/home.aspx

Rumors about an adventure touring model too, but it's probably wishful thinking.

numb41

i just pulled a chub... that is hooligan!

greatbuffalo

If they can mount that up to the Tenere package, I could see a bike to give the Tiger Explorer some competition.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

My brother rode a FZ-09 at Arizona Bike Week (bike show where several dealers offer test rides on all the new bikes). I think he rode Ninja 650, Ninja 1000, Concourse, FJR, FZ-09, and maybe Super Tenere.

He was really impressed with the triple - thought it might actually beat the Ninja 1000 in the 1/4. CycleWorld did a 10.66 on the FZ-09, I think that's in the ballpark for a ZX-10. It has 50 ft-lbs of torque from 3k up to 11k rpm.

So bottom line, he liked the smoothness and power delivery of the triple so much that now he is thinking about getting a Tiger 800 XC. That engine has a torque curve almost identical to the FZ-09 triple, with a bit of off-road capability.

greatbuffalo

The FZ-09 was started its design life as a supermoto and still retains some of those lines. I have hard nothing but great things about it. I can't wait till my local dealer gets one in so I can nick it for a couple hours.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?