News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Earbuds....I like them!

Started by Lonesome Dave, January 01, 2015, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Well for Christmas I asked for only one thing, wireless earbuds.  Before I tell you about them, I first want to say what happened on our GDR ride this past summer with Wacked and Great Buffalo.  Last Christmas my son gave me a MP3 player with 300 songs already loaded that he knew I would like, or mostly like!  You must understand I'm pretty easy on music likes and dislikes.  Kinda like food, if you do it, you won't hear me complain!  Anyway, as we got further into the ride, we all started tuning out with our earbuds inside the helmet.  It was funny, each time we stopped or started, we couldn't talk to each other until we got the helmets off and the earbuds out.  Or, we would do hand signals.  There was numerous times I watched Wacked or GB dancing with their helmets on after stopping.  Well, I'd never ridden my bike, especially on trails with my earbuds and music going.  Needless to say, I fell in love.  Now, anytime I'm riding trails by myself, I've got the tunes on.  But, I always had to screw around with the damn cords.  Which leads me to this post!

I checked into different wireless earbuds.  I discovered right away that the wireless buds are usually slightly longer than a wired earbud.  And, the first question I asked will they work with my helmet.  If your buying these, they don't really let you try them on.  So finally, after reading different reviews I decided on the JayBird BlueBuds X.  And yes they are larger.  Well for Christmas, to my surprise, I got my new earbuds.  I loaded my songs into my phone (actually my son did it) and about 100 more.  They work great, and the bluetooth hook-up is simple.  And when the phone rings it cuts out the music and tells me who's calling.  I know all you younger guys are saying, da, what did you think would happen?  I won't get into all the frequency response stuff, I'm basically deaf, they just work good and battery life is about 7 or 8 hours.

So I tried them on with the helmet.  Its a tight fit until you get the helmet past the buds and around the ears.  When you take the helmet off, there's no saving it, they rip out.  Just about like the wired ones I had.  The real test is how long can you wear the helmet and buds together.  I needed to test this all out or take them back.  So I ended up going for a short drive last weekend.  I felt like an idiot, but there I was driving my little Jeep up Nemo Road with my helmet on.  Did I say I felt like an idiot!  I would put down the visor every time I met an oncoming car.  Anyway, they didn't hurt my ears and I wore them for about 1/2 hour.  I'll admit, the jury is still out, but so far they work for me.

And for those of you who worry about listening while riding, I keep it real low, really!  Besides, I've let a long life.  Rock-on.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

I saw right before Christmas that EarFuze is now making a bluetooth earbud set. I have been a huge fan of EarFuze since I bought my first pair 5 years ago. You stick the small earbud into your ears and pack in a 2 part silicone putty and let it harden. They are flush with the outside of the ear so few worries when putting on or taking off your helmet.
Here's the site:
http://www.earfuze.com/holiday
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

I have been making my own custom earbuds using radians two part earplug compound.

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Blue/dp/B003A28OW6

Works great, then plug them in to the Sena and jam out.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

I've looked at the Radians product several times but found it to be a bit spendy just for the putty, although it may be good value. I have looked at times looked for somewhere to buy this stuff in a larger quantity and a reasonable cost and do a bit of experimentation.  I have several earbuds that I would like to work with but if the first shot fails, that's 11 bucks down the drain. I did find some from a hearing aid supply outlet that had it for $30 for 5 oz of each part. When I went back to get it they had gone out of business. Just haven't been too ambitious to search again.

tannerc

There is enough product in one pack of radians to do 2 sets of ear buds.
I like the radians for the reason that I get to use my own preference in earbud, and they knock the wind noise down, things are sealed up really well.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Stevsie

Is there any helmets with built in speakers? I've always used ear buds but hate that its so hard to get them 100% in and working with my helmet.

tannerc

I use the Velcro in pucksv that come with the Sena in my dirt helmet. They do plenty well.

Hank

I've found that the sena puck speakers sound much better on a street bike if you wear foam ear plugs.  They filter the treble down and the bass treble balance is pretty good.   Without the plugs the puck speakers sound really tinny.

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

Dr Psyko

I've tried ear buds a couple times, and to hear them well over the ambient noise, need them to be so loud my ears end up hurting.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Radar

I got myself a uClear bluetooth set for Christmas. I've found the same thing, works best with earplugs in. It is nice to be able to answer the phone while riding and sound quality is decent. Kinda spendy though.

greatbuffalo

Does the uclear have an ear bud port? If so, What mode/ do you have?. Thanks