News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Scratched GPS screen fix

Started by greatbuffalo, January 11, 2015, 04:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Here's the back story.

Whacked was selling his Garmin 60CSx last spring at the rally but it didn't seem to gather any love. I wanted it but knew my wife wouldn't really be happy with me spending $$ for yet another GPS. After talking with Whacked he mentioned he just couldn't or didn't want to figure the thing out. With the GDR trip coming up I asked if I could take it and load it with some maps for GDR so we had yet another GPS just in case. He said sure. I had not been able to find a mount in the time I had after I thought about it and Cabelas and the other shops I visited didn't have one. I had a universal mount so I decided to use it. the way I had fashioned to keep it put caused 2 fairly significant scratched ares on the screen. So now I have a unit that doesn't belong to me and I screwed it up. At this point I realized that I had bought it.

Luckly Brad and I were able to make a deal and it was then mine. I told my wife after the fact and there was no need to ask for forgiveness as her reaction was a nonreaction.

I've been looking at the screen trying to figure out how to fix it and have read several things to use from an expensive screen polish at 22 bucks for a 1/4 ounce tube, to toothpaste.

I bought some Dremel plastic polish and gave it a whirl as Dremel says its good for polishing LCD screens...... NOT. I ended up with a very hazy screen and really unusable. So I had to think some more.

I then thought about the products used to rejuvenate your headhight lenses. So I went down to the nearest O'Reilly store and bought the cheapest polish I could buy (Yup, I'm cheap). Rain-X Headlight restorer for 4 bucks for 5 ouces.

I mixed a bit with some water and applied to a felt Dremel polishing head and went to town on the slowest setting of my Dremel tool. After several minutes of random  passes with the disk I sprayed it off with window cleaner and the screen looked nearly neww with only a small amount of the marred areas showing. A few more minutes and the screen looked brand new.

I'm a pretty happy guy now. I just have to but a mount so this doesn't happen again, but if it does I know how to fix it.

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Dan I thought I had one laying around, but I think I gave it away.  I can check with the guy to see if uses it.

But I did find this at gpscity.com for 8 bucks.   http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-60csx-astro-cradle-ram-hol-ga12u.html
This is the one I had and it worked well.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !