News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

new garage

Started by Fletch, January 12, 2015, 10:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

so, I will hopefully have a new garage by spring and am looking for ideas since I will be starting with a blank canvas so to speak. It not only needs to hold cars and motorcycles but I also need to store fishing gear, skis, canoe, bicycles, etc. Obviously a nice bench and tool storage is also needed as well as  a place to work on bikes (lift and tire machine are on the wish list) If you don't mind posting up pics of your garage/shop and/or ideas I would greatly appreciate it..

Thanks
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

I am looking for ideas too, since I bought a 900 sq. ft. garage last year. It even came with some living quarters attached, I guess people call that a "house" ?   ;D

I am still getting the space organized myself, but one of the keys to cut down on clutter, I think, is to utilize the wall and ceiling space. I have these overhead shelves on two walls of the garage. Good for storing stuff you don't access very often, like tires and spare parts. Make them high enough so you can walk underneath without bumping your head.

My favorite system for storing stuff on the walls is the french cleat rail. I've only put one up so far, I'm sure I'll add more.

The video on this page does a better job of explaining it. It is cheap to build, the downside I guess is that you do have to build all the hooks, shelves, etc.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/garage/storage/custom-garage-storage

I am planning to convert the garage to LED lighting. Fluorescent tubes are the default for most shops but I've never been a fan of them... buzz, flicker, and take a while to output full light in a cold shop. I bought this LED fixture to hang over the work bench:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-4-ft-LED-Utility-Shop-Light-73990/205110548

Puts out as much or more light than two 4 ft. fluorescent tubes imo, and 38 watts total.

For general lighting I will probably go with these LED fixtures from Lowes... I am hoping they go on sale at some point, I need about 3 of them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_595731-11840-54703141_0+1z0vize__?productId=50277255

I am also thinking about a tire changer. I like to change them with tire irons on the ground to keep in practice, just in case I have flats on the trail, but at this point I figure I've practiced enough? Or maybe I'm just getting lazy or old, lol.

Fletch

Thanks Jim, I plan on going with LED's as well and I like the rail idea!  I too will have a garage with attached living quarters. It seems logical to me as cars are bigger than people??

tannerc

Got tired of parking outside. The two car att garage just wasn't enough.

It is a work in progress. I have not wired/insulated/sheeted the inside yet.

The BEST thing I did was put in a loft.

It is tall enough I can walk down the center without ducking.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Fletch

Nice, I added the Attic trusses for mine as well, only 13' wide, but 40' long so I can put a lot of crap up there!!

Hank

That loft/attic will be great.   

I split my pole building 1/3-2/3 and finished and heated the 1/3 part about 4-5 years ago, and its been the best investment I ever made for myself.    Winters are a lot more fun when you have a warm place to take apart motorcycles  :evil

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Fletch on January 12, 2015, 04:17:38 PM
Nice, I added the Attic trusses for mine as well, only 13' wide, but 40' long so I can put a lot of crap up there!!

I had truss attic as well, with stairs made out of 2x8 runners.  The runners fit between the ceiling rafters on one end of the garage.  I made a pulley system so I could re-track them into the ceiling.  I also put a door at the top of the stairs to keep heat in.  The biggest problem was when I moved, there was a lot of junk up there!

Another very important thing in my opinion is at least a 8 foot door height, with 9 foot sidewalls.  If possible, go even taller.  That way you can park campers, horse trailers, motor home inside if needed.  Considering where you work, I'd put 200 amps in the garage and probably electric heat.  But, floor heat is wonderful!  Also, in the insulation department, if you can afford it, do the spray in (sticky) insulation.  It seals everything tight.  And then put roll or blown insulation in the ceiling joists.   The shop I work in, has spray on insulation throughout and blown in insulation in the ceiling, its 3000 sq ft and it costs approx $600 a year to be heated at 62 degrees. 

Couple of more things, lots and lots of electrical plug outlets, and one or two outlets very near the front garage doors.

That's my 2 cents worth......
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Did the in floor heat so I should be good on that, I will check on the blow in sticky insulation stuff

greatbuffalo

I've just been running some numbers and think that a garage in my back yard is in the future. Either this fall or a year from this spring. Will be interested in what you learn by this process.

The one thing I really want in a shop is a car lift. That would prevent an exorbitant amount of cursing.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dr Psyko

Ditto with LD about the garage height. When we built our house back in the 90's, I made sure the garage had 2 exterior doors, staircase to the basement of the house, and extra windows for outside light. By accident with the site surveyor, the garage ended up with an extra 10 feet in height (long story). But it's been great. I have added a "mezanine" in the back third, and can hang the jeep hardtop easily from the ceiling, drive completely underneath it to park. I've hung canoes, bikes, etc. Saves a ton of space.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Fletch

I have 10+ft. sidewalls, so hopefully I can get a lot of storage up where its not in my way for bicycles, canoe, etc.. Thanks for the ideas..

Bogus Jim

Fletch I think I found a tire changer for you. It is made by CEMB.

Here's a long boring video of a guy using it on a motorcycle tire...

Of course you should splurge and also get the CEMB wheel balancer.

They also make crankshaft balancers and just in case you need to balance your train wheels:   ;D

Fletch

that is pretty sweet Jim, but apparently you have misunderstood my budget...

Bogus Jim

Well on the other end of the spectrum, I notice in the latest ad, Harbor Freight has a coupon for their motorcycle tire changer attachment for $34. You have to buy the stand separately for $39 I think. Not sure if the HF changer is still recommended by the smart guys on ADV?

Fletch

I think two irons and a 5 gal. bucket may have to get me by for a while :-[