News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Hello from Colorado Springs

Started by AncientMariner, January 25, 2015, 12:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientMariner

Hey, I miss you guys.  It's been a long time since I attended a DDSR rally.  In 2013 I moved from Alliance, NE (reasonably close to the Black Hills) to Colorado Springs, making it a bit more of a commute.  I've added a couple of Moto Guzzis and a Kaw Nomad to the stable since my last rally.  While the weight and lack of clearance (and travel) of the Nomad makes it seem the least likely vehicle for unpaved surfaces, I'd like to point out that the Suzuki Savage I had was far more stable on sandy roads than my Vstrom 1000,  not that I'm planning to attack any single track on a bagger.  I actually did some trail riding on the Savage at Elko NV.  Aside from the preposterous ergonomics, it did pretty well.

'01 TTR125L, '01 WR426 plated, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7C, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 Kaw Nomad -John

Hank

Hi John, nice to hear from you again!   You still got that WR426 too?     How is the trail riding around Co. Springs?

AncientMariner

Sad to say, Hank, I haven't even researched where to ride down here.  I have noted a few unpaved passes that look pretty interesting but so far I haven't found anything as appealing as riding the Black Hills.  The 426 isn't starting.  I suspect smegma in the pilot jet.  One of these days I'll get around to firing it up again.  Pitifully, that time I had it at the Fish & Fry is the only time it's been ridden.  For jeep trails, I think the Weestrom is the better choice because I can ride it there and back.  The 426 is a bit punishing to ride on the street.  I still love it, though.  Heck, I love them all.

Here's a picture of another "Hank," me pappy, circa 1936:
'01 TTR125L, '01 WR426 plated, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7C, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 Kaw Nomad -John

loingrader

Great to hear from ya and that is a neat old picture. 

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Absolutely, that's a great old picture.   What's he riding?

My dad had a 40's Harley back in the 50s, but I'm not sure I know of any pictures of it.

John hope you manage to find some time to do some trails out there.   It's got to be a nice place to live.   Are you retired from the ship's engineer business?

greatbuffalo

Love that old photo. What a great way to remember someone.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?