News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

History of the CR500

Started by Bogus Jim, February 04, 2015, 02:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

The video is a bit long but there's some interesting info on the history of the CR500. Along with some nice historical footage including Steve McQueen.

Fletch

I had one. fun, but after 14 rib fractures I settled for a KTM 300.  It was fun to ride though, just not very forgiving.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

I rode one once, saw Jesus, and decided I shouldn't ride it again.

Hank

That was pretty interesting.   I had no idea you could put a big bore / stroker kit in it and get it up to 640cc.  That must be.. well.. excessive.

I have seen the 1000 twins before though.

I've always had this dumb idea that it would be fun to put a KX500 (or CR500) engine in a Ninja 250 frame.    Maybe someday I'll try that.

tannerc

Funny this pops up.
I was casually browsing the ADV classifieds and ran into a post requesting a cr500
His score is a sweet looking bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039843

Service Honda CR500AF
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

I saw that same ad, right after I saw a CR500 stuffed into a KTM 250 frame on ebay.    I posted the link but it was immediately nuked.   The ADV mods get pretty fussy about ebay and CL links.

Here is another cool one that FMF built, or builds?
http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/we-ride-donny-emlers-kx500ktm-250sx-hybrid-two-stroke-project-bike

greatbuffalo

If you go to the regional areas on ADV there are threads for craigslist and ebay finds.

I never had the pleasure of riding the CR500 but I remember my first ride on a XR350. My biggest dirtbike riding experience before that was a YZ125. The XR blew my 17 year old mind. So much so, I bought one. I can just imagine what would have happened if I took a ride on the CR. I may well have seen Jesus too.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on February 04, 2015, 06:29:23 PM

I've always had this dumb idea that it would be fun to put a KX500 (or CR500) engine in a Ninja 250 frame.    Maybe someday I'll try that.

I've had the same dream many times!  I think it would be a blast if it would hold up?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Quote from: Fletch on February 05, 2015, 08:08:35 AM

I've had the same dream many times!  I think it would be a blast if it would hold up?

Glad to know I'm not the only demented one.  The custom exhaust and the sprocket alignment would be the only real hard part I'm guessing. Should be plenty of room.   Might have to make a jack shaft to get the sprockets where you want them, and you'd probably have some expansion chamber poking through the fairing somewhere, but that might look cool anyway.   :evil

Whether or not the frame would hold up to the vibration and torque...  only one way to find out.

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on February 04, 2015, 06:29:23 PM

Found the donor

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/4835735212.html

1989 kx500 runs like a champ has pro circuit exhaust bark busters metal skid plate tether switch stretched 2 inches sprockets n tires r like New bike is no joke.people with cash in hand reply please do not waste my Time $1500 comes with written bill of sale text any Time.605 877 65four seven.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

I heard it would be fairly straight forward to slap a 700 motor from a Raptor into my 250F. Mind you I haven't looked into it so don't know just how straight forward it would be. One's person's straight forward is another's prelude to insanity. Would be a bitchin' ride though.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

That sounds pretty cool.  I wonder how much weight it adds.

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.