News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

June 2015 Sign up

Started by Hank, February 11, 2015, 07:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Quote from: Fletch on June 04, 2015, 01:51:03 PM
trail permits can also be purchased at the visitors center at I-90 exit 61 (across from flying J truck stop) very handy if you are coming from the east..

I failed to get permits in advance this year.   Its looking like i have 2 options, detour to Rapid and pick them up there (adds about an hour), or drop the trailer and run to Pactola?  Anything closer?

My preferred route is 34 into Sturgis.

tannerc

buy online and just be sure to have your receipt with you, I asked the folks at the visitors center about this last week. They also said that if you have your online receipt you can show it at the visitors center and they will give you the maps you want.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

mitchn06

yes, that answers my questions, i'm just not sure how far i'm gonna make it from Sioux Falls on Thursday after work, not to sound like a wussy, but i prefer to not ride in the dark if i don't have to, especially with all of the young yearlings out getting plastered to the interstate.
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

dufferv65

Figure I might as well make it unofficially official!

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE:Duffer/Dufferv65
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY:1
DATE ARRIVING:18th
DATE LEAVING:21st
TENT OR RV:car
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS:

Planning on arriving at FnF Thursday afternoon around 3:00 if anyone would like to go for a ride.

Hank

Quote from: tannerc on June 16, 2015, 08:49:17 PM
buy online and just be sure to have your receipt with you, I asked the folks at the visitors center about this last week. They also said that if you have your online receipt you can show it at the visitors center and they will give you the maps you want.

Done, thanks!

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on June 16, 2015, 08:38:31 PM
Quote from: Fletch on June 04, 2015, 01:51:03 PM
trail permits can also be purchased at the visitors center at I-90 exit 61 (across from flying J truck stop) very handy if you are coming from the east..

I failed to get permits in advance this year.   Its looking like i have 2 options, detour to Rapid and pick them up there (adds about an hour), or drop the trailer and run to Pactola?  Anything closer?

My preferred route is 34 into Sturgis.

if you are on 34 take new underwood road to New underwood and then I-90 to rapid, adds very little time.. Or the online option.

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Great rally everybody.  It never ceases to amaze me when we get that many people together and everybody is so nice.   Good times as always.

Special thanks to GB and crew for allowing us to relocate to higher ground.

Bogus Jim

It was good to see everyone again.

Here's most of Lonesome Dave's gang on Friday... a few more were parked over by the gas pump.

A fun ride but Dave was cracking the whip and wouldn't let anybody order food at Mt. Meadows.  Except for drdude (mike), he was pretty quick on the draw and managed to order and eat half a burger before Dave kicked him out of the restaurant.   ;D

snooker

Hi guys, it's been awhile....   We hosted a big party last weekend so couldn't make it, but I'm retired now so I plan on making it up to your Hills a lot more..

For my retirement I wanted an electric starter on my XR400 but somehow the new starter came attached to a plated '09 KTM 450 XCW, so now I have that to choose from in addition to my 650 XCountry.  Damn that thing is a rocket?  (wanna race? Gerry?)  Moot point but for the Fall rally I'll need to decide which one to bring.  What's that date again????   

Also another reminder for those interested there is the Moose Run Dual Sport rally the first weekend in August, held in Walden, CO about the closest Colorado mountains to the Black Hills you can find.  I plan on being there.  They have A B and C loops, A is single track dirt bikes, B is mid size adventure dual sport (2WD and 4WD dirt), and C is road bikes (pavement) all do amazing loops with GPS tracks and routes to hand out.  In particular the A single track loops were made by dirt bikers FOR dirt bikes so if you're into that you will love it. It is a small rally maybe a little bigger than DDSR ones.  Keep it in mind. 

Sportfaller, don't you live near there now - are you going? 

Here's a link:  http://frontrangeriders.com/moose-run-rally/

-matt

mitchn06

Hey Guys and Gals, i had an awesome weekend meeting you all and cruising around. Here are a few of the pics that i snapped over the weekend.

Here is where the biggest bike in the group decided to jump over the edge.

Ice Cave

Iron Creek Lake

Cement Ridge Lookout

Then the rains and hails came along and ruined a perfectly good day for all of the tent campers, not quite as bad has Hank's, but bad enough to send us into Rapid for the night

Overall, the weather during the day could not have been better, the trails were fun and the company was fantastic, thanks for an awesome Spring Rally 2015

2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

Lonesome Dave

Finally got around to posting some pics from the rally.

Cement Ridge Saturday

Cement Ridge looking west.  Inyan Kara in the back ground.

Bonnie; She doesn't like her photo taken.

Iron Creek Lake Saturday morning

Older - Wiser - Faster !