News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Its time to start thinkin'

Started by greatbuffalo, February 12, 2015, 02:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Its that time I start thinking about about what needs to be done to the mounts in the stable. Instead of putting it till the last minute like I always do and instead of spending a bit at at a time I end up running out of cash two weeks before a big ride. With all this in mind I headed down to my local dealer, Palace Motosports, and dropped some coin. I can do better with prices on line but I would rather spend my dime locally. If it take spending a few more to keep a local guy in business than that's what I'll do. Besides, if the proverbial poop hits the fan, are you gonna show up at the internet shop to get emergency repairs? Nope. Your regular business in remembered in times of need. Just saw it happen while I was their.

Let me get off topic for a minute.

This dude from Platte shows up and wants the owner to do the warranty work on his new sled...... TODAY. Mind you that when he was looking for this sled he stopped at this shop. Then he find out he can get the same sled in Watertown for 200 bucks less. Instead of asking the owner to work a bit he goes all the way to Watertown to save 200 bucks on a $11,000 sled. When he realizes the thumb warmer isn't working does he take to the shop in Watertown? Nope. He begs this shop owner to fix it... today. The answer was nope. The part would have to be ordered and then find an open time in the shop. After the guy left he says, if he bought it here I would taken the warmer off that sled over there and put it on today.

Moral of the story? Do business local when you can. There are somethings he doesn't have access to and he understands when I have to elsewhere.

Anyway.......... I ordered some parts

The two fitty will get
New tires
Carb rebuild

The Triumph Tiger will get
New AGM battery
New chain and sprockets

The KLR will get
New rear tire
New Odyssey battery (think I may have to that on line unless I can find one local at a reasonable cost)
New rear shock
Chain and sprockets

After I've done a complete inspection on the KLR I think there will be swing arm bushings and bearing in the future. I think the new rear shock is going to make an extreme difference in the way that bike handles in on all terrain.

So that's a start. I'm done with Winter unless I can get one more day on the hill. Startin' to think Spring.

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

LOL... I can see Scott saying that.. You should hear some of his stories about customers expectations... some people are nuts!!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

I'm with you , been starting to work through the stable too.  Last week end I got Cara's 400 buttoned up.  It got a new top end.  I sent the head and cylinder out to KTM guru DJH.   For clean up, valve seals, lapping etc.   

Next I'm going through my 400 for the coming soon Moab trip. Nothing serious there, just a tune up, fork oil, and swingarm and shock bushing grease.

Better doing this than winterizing stuff!   Spring is in sight!

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

greatbuffalo

I worked the last 4 nights, came home and headed for Sioux falls for an MRI scan and drove back home. Not feeling much like sleeping I went over to the shop to take advantage of the nice weather.

I managed to get my Progressive 465 RAP rear shock on and my new Odyssey in. My bike actually starts now and the shock made the front end/rear end wallow disappear. I no longer have 50% + sag. What a difference 600 bucks make. Imagine spending that kind of money on a KLR..........

Ordered a new rear tire to replace the one I tore up on the DAKAL and the GDR.  A few other miner things to come in the next few weeks.

greatbuffalo

I took a 200 mile round trip to visit my mom and dad in Arlington. The first hundred miles was all gravel and min. maint. roads except for 6 miles. The trip back was all asphalt.

The new shock performed as well or better than I expected and exactly as I had hoped.

The only problem I found when I got home was that the RAP knob had vibrated itself into the abyss. So I need to call Progressive tomorrow and get a replacement. I really didn't think I should have checked that screw thinking it should have been torqued at the time of manufacture. Oh well, if that's the only problem I had all day, I can't complain too much.

greatbuffalo

Completed my doohicky replacement yesterday without a hitch. Another project done. Next is tires. Front and rear on the WRF and rear on the KLR.