News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Place for Spring rally

Started by Hank, February 13, 2015, 06:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Hold that thought folks, date will be changing as this conflicts with the jeep folks.    More to come. 

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

Lonesome Dave

Hank, I called Fish n Fry.  Waiting for return call.  Checking on dates before or after. 

Wacked suggested Mountain Meadows (Deerfield).  Their booked already.  :o Then I called Mystic Hills Resort for the same weekend.  (They are located on Custer Peak Road, fairly close to Fish n Fry).  They only have three cabins left for those dates, but all have at least two large beds in each (don't know much more on the cabins) the RV and tent sites are no problem.  Mystic Hills does have a restaurant. 

There's a small camping area just north of Hill City called Crooked Creek Resort.  Waiting for return call.  I don't think they have a restaurant.

How did this happen?  :-[ 

Oh yea, almost forgot, it was requested today at breakfast, maybe ordered, that I should not have any input on the rally date!

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

I spoke with Crooked Creek Resort this morning.  http://www.crookedcreeksd.com/  They are SOUTH of Hill City a couple of miles, not north as my previous post said.  It sounds like they have enough room for our group on the 19th/20th weekend.  They have camping cabins, electrical cabins, a few full service cabins, motel rooms, and RV & tent sites.  They don't have a restaurant, but serve complete breakfasts on weekends.  I believe they might do group rates, but I didn't ask because I had no idea what we might do. 

This is a nice campground, with some food, showers stalls, and a pool.  It might be nice to be a little closer to Custer.  Certainly not suggesting we go here, just saying it appears to have room if we decide to keep the same dates.

So right now it appears that Crooked Creek and possibly Mystic Hills could accommodate us for the 18, 19, & 20th.

Sill waiting for a call from Michelle at Fish & Fry. 

Everyone be thinking what you might want to do.  Once Hank gets back home we will have to make a decision.  I'll post as soon as Michelle calls me.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

I'm really game for whatever.  I like the FnF but also think some variety would be fun.   I'm hoping some more attendees will chime in with date preferences , if anyone has any.

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

ZIGGY

FWIW, I prefer the weekend of the 18th. Already scheduled the time off from work and is the only weekend that will work 4 me, so I'll be in the hills riding that weekend either way. ;) Therefore I promise I won't cry if you do pick a different weekend.

Doesn't matter to me where we go. The FnF is good, but a change of scenery might be nice too. We could always have the fall rally back at the FnF.

tannerc

I more then likely wont make it (be out the weekend before for inyan kera!) but as far as a place for this years summer rally have you guys considered checking with whispering pines?
http://www.blackhillscampresort.com/
Its on 385 right by the Silver City turn off. It seems like it would be a great location for all types of riding.
Just a thought
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Well, the big problem with the week of the 18th is that the jeep crowd in a large group and may have more than just F N F sewed up. I will make a few calls today and see what I can find out but we gotta make a decision soon. Wispering Pines is also big in the Jeep community but I;ll give them a call
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

There is also appearently a Jeep Jamboree going on that same weekend that is eating up a lot of other spaces in area campgrounds.

I just chatted with Michelle at FNF and she said that they are wide open the weekend before, June, 11, 12, 13, and 14.

Please make up your minds in the next 24 hours please. the longer we wait, the worse its gonna get. If you want to weigh in tonight and if someone has a better plan, please present it with some definite numbers and info. Like I said, the longer we wait the harder it will be.

The Jeep group that is at the campground the weekend of the 20th stays until the 27th so the next weekend is out also. This group comes in every three years. 3 years ago we got the jump on them, this year, they got the jump on us.

I'm hoping to call Michelle tomorrrow with an answer so we can get this ball rolling.

tannerc

Quote from: greatbuffalo on February 16, 2015, 10:52:18 AM

I just chatted with Michelle at FNF and she said that they are wide open the weekend before, June, 11, 12, 13, and 14.

If  June 11th, 12th, 13th & 14th is an option, I am "IN".... but either way I will be out in the hills that weekend.  :evil
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

ZIGGY

Quote from: tannerc on February 16, 2015, 11:10:24 AM
Quote from: greatbuffalo on February 16, 2015, 10:52:18 AM

If  June 11th, 12th, 13th & 14th is an option, I am "IN".... but either way I will be out in the hills that weekend.  :evil

Ok, just checked with my coworker and I could switch my vacation to the June 11th weekend.  :) So that would work for me as well. If we could beat all the jeeps cruisin around it may be the best option.

greatbuffalo

OK, Sorry about the confusion. I wish things could be magically settled.

I talked to Hank and he said that that weekend wouldn't work for him.  We discussed moving south a bit.  I have a call out to Crooked Creek in Hill City. If they are wide open for that weekend, and they are reasonable to deal with, we will do it there.

Again. I am so very sorry for the confusion. We just couldn't have foreseen this happening.

So we're in a holding pattern, sit back, relax, and hopefully we'll settle this thing.

greatbuffalo

Okay folks. Hank tossed this into my corner so here goes. I worked all night and just got woken up by a return call so forgive me if the cobwebs in my head make me screw up.

Crooked Creek Resort, Hill City. June 18 - 22. http://www.crookedcreeksd.com   605-415-8760. You must use this number and speek to Michelle. (yes kinda strange)

What they have available;  See website for explanations. 5% off for group and still on off season rates I believe
2 Comfort cabins. heat, AC, sleeps like 8.      around 90 bucks a night. I have already reserved one of those.
4 camper cabins         around 50 bucks a night
6 motel rooms with one queen. Not sure of price.

Plenty of tent spaces and RV spaces. They will block out spaces for 30 days and if we need they will extend that.

They have a store and they serve full breakfast Fri, Sat, Sun.

Please bit~h early and fast. I really think we need to move on this one.

Thanks guys

Lonesome Dave

For what it's worth, I drove by Crooked Creek yesterday.  It is really a nice campground.  It might be nice to move south a little.   However, it doesn't seem like many trails would be very close for an hour long type of ride.  But, Reno Gulch is nearby and that leads to the west.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

My vote is keep the same dates and move to Crooked Creek if they have room and want a bunch of dirty bikers :)

sandhillrider

Thanks for the work on this guys.
Crooked Creek sounds fine for us on the same dates 20th.
We bought a toy hauler so we might bring that or just get a room ;)
Looking forward to seeing you all.
Mark