News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Fuel Pump

Started by The Yeti, January 13, 2009, 09:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Been reading some threads over in OC about 950 fuel pump failures...I'm a bit concerned now. Have you had any issues with yours, Hank? Mine's been fine, but apparently they can die with no notice, stranding you in the middle of nowhere. Would it be advisable to carry a spare? Is it even possible to change it out in the field??
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

I've been considering switching to the Facet pump, but I read that a guy had one of them fail as well at around the same mileage as his stocker failed (18K miles or something), so now that doesn't seem so great.
I think I'm going to either carry a spare or replace mine before my next trip.  I don't think the stock ones cost too much.. $45 maybe?

There is a guy who developed a solid state electronic circuit to replace the points on the stock one, and that is probably the best solution.
Haven't seen how its held up but I bet its good.

Hank

Oh and I don't think it would be very hard to change out on the trail either.

I'm going to do some asking about that solid state mod over on the OC.

loingrader

sometimes, when i do a big backflip on my klr, or leave it up-side-down on the trail after a gnarly wreck, my fuel pump cuts out too.  for no apparent reason.  hasn't ever stranded me yet, but i'm pretty concerned about it. 

i'm glad to know that it doesn't just affect klr's.

;D
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on January 13, 2009, 10:23:31 AM
Oh and I don't think it would be very hard to change out on the trail either.

That's it, I'm gettin a spare and printing out the pertinent pages of the SM to go in my toolkit. I'd really be pissed if I got stranded because of a fuel pump.  >:(

I'm assuming it could be changed out using the stock toolkit  ???

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on January 13, 2009, 10:18:43 AM
I've been considering switching to the Facet pump, but I read that a guy had one of them fail as well at around the same mileage as his stocker failed (18K miles or something), so now that doesn't seem so great.
I think I'm going to either carry a spare or replace mine before my next trip.  I don't think the stock ones cost too much.. $45 maybe?

There is a guy who developed a solid state electronic circuit to replace the points on the stock one, and that is probably the best solution.
Haven't seen how its held up but I bet its good.

I saw posts on the Facet going for around the same price ($45).

Hank

If you get a Facet, which after reading more is what I think I'll do, you have to make up a few fittings to get the inlet / outlet going the right way.   The say a fuel filter is a must.  There are all kinds of pics and how tos.  I'm sure you've seen them.

Not sure about the tools req'd?   Not much I guess.

Bret you'll have to demo one of those KLR flips next June!

fringefan

Quote from: loingrader on January 14, 2009, 04:49:40 PM
sometimes, when i do a big backflip on my klr, or leave it up-side-down on the trail after a gnarly wreck, my fuel pump cuts out too.  for no apparent reason.  hasn't ever stranded me yet, but i'm pretty concerned about it. 

i'm glad to know that it doesn't just affect klr's.

;D

LOL. The way promo and hank talk, I think they might want to add a tow strap in the tool kit.

The Yeti

Yeah, we know there not the most reliable bikes in the world, but it's worth the risk!!   ;D ;D ;D

Hank

KTM's have their fuel pumps and waterpumps.

KLR's have their doohickeys and in Bret's case, aqua marine fushia graphics.   ::)

Hank

I'll never invest in the KTM pump company.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on January 15, 2009, 09:31:16 PMand in Bret's case, aqua marine fushia graphics.   ::)

hank, i know how much you like my sweet graphics.  play your cards right and i may let you borrow a side panel off the klr so you can get a good paint match for your katoom.  think how rad that 9fity would look in pink and blue.  maybe find a pink tow strap so that when i'm dragging it off the trail behind my klr, the whole ensemble would really turn some heads. 

all kidding aside, my MCN rag this month had a listing of the 950's top speed and they put it at 139mph.  i had no idea.  that is amazing that a bike so well suited to off road, can burn down the highway that fast.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Just don't try it with knobbies   :o  That flexibility is the whole appeal of the bike for me. 

I just bought a pretty sweet 1982 GS1100E for nearly nothing.  That's a bike I've always wanted.  I'll have to post pics of it.   It was a hell of a deal .. gotta love Craigslist!

The Yeti

Quotemy MCN rag this month had a listing of the 950's top speed and they put it at 139mph.  i had no idea.

I've had mine up to 130 on street tires, and have hit 110 on knobbies.  :evil

QuoteI just bought a pretty sweet 1982 GS1100E for nearly nothing.

You're accumulating quite the collection there, Hank! Running out of room in that garage yet?