News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New 500 EXC

Started by torgo, April 03, 2015, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgo

So I took delivery of my new 2015 500EXC today.  What is the opinon?   Does it need a steering damper?

Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Fletch

absolutely.... and I'm jealous...
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Robmicgrn

You wont regret a steering dampener. Have fun!
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Bogus Jim

The purchase price hurts but the way I look at it... steering damper is a piece of safety gear. It also makes the long off road rides more fun because you can ride with a pretty relaxed grip on the bar and not worry about the bar being ripped out of your hands.

Hank

Congrats, great bike.    A stabilizer is one of those things that you'll never regret once the sticker shock wears off.   Like a great pair of boots or a helmet that fits right.
I'll never be without one again.  I know its saved me a few times.

Lonesome Dave

Congrats, and I agree.  I told myself that if it saved me even once, it will pay for itself, and it has! 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

torgo

WOW!!!!!!  75 miles on the totally stock 500 EXC and that is all I got. I am so stupid to have held out this long.  This is one amazing bike.  Better than anything I have ever ridden.  I did some blacktop, gravel road, two track, and some single track.  It handles all of them with ease.  Biggest problem is the wheels are out of balance and it wants to hop all over the road above 45mph.  And yes everyone is correct, steering damper is going to be ordered today. 

This thing is TALL,  but handles like my trials bike.  It has a slight surge at a constant throttle opening, but when I get it uncorked that should go away.  Not that I will but I could leave everything exactly like it is and LOVE this bike.  Why this thing doesn't come with a skid plate is beyond me.

I will be selling everything in my stable except the Ural Patrol, and my TE310.  So that means my KLX300R plated, Beta Rev-3 trials bike, KTM 640LC4E and the 2009 KLR are going on on ADV Rider, next week when I get home.  Anyone interested from the forum here PM me.  I can deliver anywhere in SD on my way back to work in Dickinson.

[/URL]][/img]
I got almost to the Missouri river,  if you know where to look there are some great two-track in the bluffs around the MO river in ND.

greatbuffalo

That is an awesome machine. probably too much for man like me though.

As far as the stabilizers go, I have never ridden a bike with one on it except for a 75 Yamaha 175 that came with a simple one from the factory. I've heard all the positives but making that purchase puts a huge hit on the wallet. I guess I just spent 600 bucks on a shock, whats another 500 for a damper. Then I'll need to get one for the WRF. Ugh!! It never ends. the price we pay for fun.....
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

Quote from: torgo on April 03, 2015, 05:14:25 PM

[/URL]][/img]
I got almost to the Missouri river,  if you know where to look there are some great two-track in the bluffs around the MO river in ND.

Great shot of a great bike! Those 500's are supposed to be the ticket to fun, "DO-ALL" and it sounds like it is with the stable clearing!
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

torgo

Ok,  I bought this bike especially for the TID this Aug.  Before riding it I was concerned about being able to do 7 (now 9) days of straight riding.  Not now.  This thing takes so much LESS effort to ride.  Coming off the best dual sport I had was an 02 KTM 640LC4E is is like night and day.

Did another 75 miles today mixed riding and got 50mpg in stock form.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: torgo on April 04, 2015, 05:21:34 PM
Ok,  I bought this bike especially for the TID this Aug.

Man that is a ride I really really want to do. I am already committed for a two week trip this year though so unless things change, I can't do it this year.

I agree with you, the 500 is going to be a great bike for the TID. Other good bikes would be KTM 350, KTM 400, and KTM 450.  ;)   The 500 is not much heavier than the 350.

Hank

What is theTID?

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

Bogus Jim

Tour of Idaho, about 1,400 miles of single / double track.

torgo

Well it was 1400 miles and 7 days, but now for the 10th anniversary it is now 9 days and 1550 miles.  I have been planning this since 2013 but I wanted a challenge so I waited. :evil :evil :evil :'( :'(

greatbuffalo

That would be one heck of a ride. Aside from Alaska, Idaho has least area served by major roads. The whole center of the state in the Nez Perce rez and the several Nat Forests have few if any paved roads. Thats an area of 250 miles North/South and 120 miles East/West.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?