News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Today is Mrs LD's Birthday!

Started by Lonesome Dave, May 16, 2015, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Yes, very easy to work on.  Even a top end job is super simple (and cheap - $113 for a complete Wiseco kit).

I think KTM dirtbikes in general are super easy to work on, especially after coming from the WR450.   Valve checks can be done 15 or 20 minutes on my 400. 

Lonesome Dave

First ride impressions. 
I picked it up from Gage today.  The rear shock threads were galled up.  Jimbo's springs seemed do be spot on and Gage got the different sags just right.  The front brake certainly works.  I mean its now a one finger brake.  :o  And yes it will do a "stoppy," not with me (at least not intentionally) but Gage did it.  Clutch doesn't leak anymore.  Found dirt in the carb tube.  Gage said on this bike its easy not to get the air filter sealed and you need to check with you finger all the way around it.  The a/f cage was also deformed.  Therefore, some dirt has gotten past the filter and you know the rest of the story.  He said not to worry, 2 smokes will take a beating, but maybe next winter take the top off.  Also found real dirty oil in the case.  Going to ride it and change it a couple of times.  Enough about that.

How'd it ride?
Very nimble, but in the dirt the damn thing is always in a hurry and hard to hold onto!  But I'll get use to that.  ;)  I don't know yet if the speedo is set right, but 50 - 55 is about it on gravel or asphalt.  There's certainly more there, but that was all I was willing to listen too.  I only went for a short ride towards Dalton Lake and back home.  I actually was in 6th gear most of the time.  :o  I eventually realized it wasn't because I'm some super rider, it was just easier to hang on to it, and it didn't make so much damn noise.  Yes, I like it, but I'm not tossing the WRR to the curb.  The WR rides much smoother or softer.  I don't know much about this, but I think the compression is set too high.  Front seemed okay, just the back was harsh.  I'll admit the WR can bottom out on compression dips if I'm not standing.  Maybe it's too soft?  One more thing, didn't realize until today how much a steering damper does until you don't have one.  I don't know if it was mind game, but there were different times I fought the bars or at least thought I did. 

What it needs;  I think Jimbo has it right.  Slavens Racing has a rubber mounted Scott's damper that raises the bar and cuts down on vibration. http://slavensracing.com/shop/rubber-mounted-sub-mount-scotts-damper-kit-for-ktm-by-brp/  And a set of Fastway F5 footpegs.  Pegs lower your feet about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and the bar gets raised.  I found myself uncomfortable kind of leaning over when I was standing.  Short story, all's it takes is money and she'll be perfect.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Glad you like it so far Dave. I have a 14T front sprocket if you want to try different gearing, but once you get off the fire roads the stock gearing might be better.

One other thing, you shouldn't have to worry about this bike eating chain sliders...  ;D

Hank

Duffer invited me out to the Appleton OHV area today so I finally got to get some "real" use on my 200.  I like it really well.   With it running nice and clean on the bottom and with the fly wheel weight, its got plenty of low end for me, and a nice little kick on top.  Feels light as a feather and handles real nice.   If I had one complaint its that the fork feels a bit harsh, but I will tweak the damping a bit.

After riding with a Rekluse for over a year I thought I might have some trouble re-adapting, but for whatever reason I feel like I'm less likely to stall this than I was my 400.   The clutch is really light and smooth, which helps I'm sure.  I'm anxious to get it into some tight single track.