News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

DR650

Started by dakotagun, May 11, 2015, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakotagun

New member here running the big DR.  Is anyone else with me?   :)

Lonesome Dave

DrDude has one.  Not sure if he's going to be there this year though.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Is this a garage built DR BIG or the real deal? I didn't think those got imported. I believe there was a 750 and a 800. Or are you just referring to the DR650?

http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR750-800S-Big.shtml
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

grubbie

Yup! Just got a new DR650,....in full farkle mode as we speak!

Dr Psyko

DR, the unsung, maligned do it all of the ADV world. More roadworthy then a DRZ, more trailworthy then a KLR, more HP then a XR, half the price of a KTM, and (outside the carb) bulletproof.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

dakotagun

I'm speaking of the 650 which my primary dual sport bike after going through a ton of other bikes over the years.  Most recently had a Versys and DL650. 

The DR, set up the way I want, does it all for me. On or off road.  I put 4,500 miles on my ST13 late last summer so the DR was neglected for a while.  I could not get the stupid grin off my face when the DR came out of the garage again.  I also took the DR to Utah and Idaho last July.  It ate up highway miles like a champ, fully loaded an all.

Great bike.

grubbie

I'm just getting to know my DR. I only have 270 miles on it so far, too much work, not enough play kinda thing. Honestly I think the graphics for 2015 are just plain ugly. I would choose any other year rather than a 15 for looks. The only used bikes I could find saved me a max of 800 dollars against new, so I went new. Put on hand guards, skid plate, ordered a tank bag. Went down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket, helped out some on trail riding. First gear was too tall for my taste on the trails. Still want side racks, a seat upgrade and tires are going to be a must before any serious riding. Having a hard time changing out brand new tires no matter how bad they are, so I may run the death wings for a while. Not planning any engine or exhaust mods at this point. I love the bike so far for what it is, but the WRR is still probably gonna see more trail time.

Bogus Jim

I think if I were planning a round the world trip, the DR is one of the bikes I would consider. Old school bikes like the DR and KLR are easier to fix in the middle of nowhere. Carbs can be fixed, but EFI... usually needs replacement parts. And the DR has no radiator to smash.

Speaking of old school, I came across an interesting fact the other day... believe it or not, there is a Japanese bike that has been in continuous production longer than the KLR. Yamaha's YZ250 two-stroke was introduced in 1974 and is still sold today.

NDave

Great bike Grubbie.    I had new one in 2004.    does this mean you are in for next leg of  CDT trail?  I will see you in june.    aFIB will keep me on easy stuff.      anyone thought about food yet?     

dakotagun

Quote from: grubbie on May 13, 2015, 08:24:35 PM
I'm just getting to know my DR. I only have 270 miles on it so far, too much work, not enough play kinda thing. Honestly I think the graphics for 2015 are just plain ugly. I would choose any other year rather than a 15 for looks. The only used bikes I could find saved me a max of 800 dollars against new, so I went new. Put on hand guards, skid plate, ordered a tank bag. Went down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket, helped out some on trail riding. First gear was too tall for my taste on the trails. Still want side racks, a seat upgrade and tires are going to be a must before any serious riding. Having a hard time changing out brand new tires no matter how bad they are, so I may run the death wings for a while. Not planning any engine or exhaust mods at this point. I love the bike so far for what it is, but the WRR is still probably gonna see more trail time.

I ran Shinko 705's for my last trip, mostly on road.  Its a great tire for cheap.  Side racks are Precision Motorcycle racks.  I've had both the standard and commuter version of the seat concepts seat and would highly recommend the commuter version.  I also added some other stuff last year:  bar risers, center stand, rear rack, etc.  The only thing left that I want to do is skid plate and rear fender cleanup kit from procycle.us

sandhillrider

DR is a great bike really, enjoy mine.
I have heavy springs front and back, bigger tank and Corbin seat.
Seat is best upgrade.

Grubbie I have a extra Corbin seat for a IMS tank if your looking.
Could bring it out next month if you wanted to see it.

grubbie

As much as I'd like to up-size the tank, it's gonna have to wait a bit, getting trumped by other things I need to upgrade. I bought a stapler, gonna try a seat concepts seat on the original pan. Pretty good value and reviews are good. Probably do the wife's little Honda too if I don't screw up the DR seat.

Hank

Ah crap, I bought a Surebonder T50 pneumatic stapler when I put a cover on my 400 seat.   I'd have been happy to loan it to you.   That makes the job a breeze!   

I should set up a tool forum so we can loan out rarely used but uselful tools.   Of course if you asked GB, he's say I'm full of shit when it comes to sending out promised tools.   I won't let that happen again.

greatbuffalo

No worries here Hank
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

sandhillrider

If I hadn't of ended up with 2 Corbin's or I would have tried the seat concepts, the Corbin's are heavy. The guy I bought my dr from had put a Corbin on with the stock tank, and the IMS tank I got came with a Corbin for it but the Corbin for the stock seat fit the IMS better. the seat concepts gets good reviews for the dr , Bonnie didn't like the one on her crf230
I also bought a stapler for seats, makes the job easy.
My son rips lots of covers on his KTM so I get to practice for the dual sports.