Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Superbeast

Started by torgo, May 12, 2015, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgo

Hey, Yeah - I'm the one that you wanted
Hey, Yeah - I'm your Superbeast

Ok I admit it, I have a problem when it comes to motorcycles.  Some people want to save every kitten and dog in the pound.  I want to save every neglected motorcycle I see.  Call it a weakness.

The back story, so a friend of mine totally loses his mind and buys this bike off Ebay.  Why?  Well he is a dedicated HARLEY guy and for some reason, (probably because I have dual sport bikes) he decides he needs one.  Well he buys it from a dealer in IA.  He gets it home and rides it exactly 6 miles and parks it, FOR A YEAR.  I have always wanted a Beemer GS model so I asks if I can take it for a ride.  He says sure and I take it out for almost 200 miles.  It had a slight stumble, but ran pretty well.  I ask him what he wants for it and he says what he paid for it.  $5000.  At the time I don't have the cash so I pass.  Two years pass and the bike has sat OUTSIDE all that time.  I'm in a little better place with some money so I asked again what he wants?  Meanwhile he has been laid off and is working a new job.  He says if I will give him $2000 it's mine.  Deal Done. 

It aint pretty so I have named her SUPERBEAST in honor of Rob Zombie's song.

BUT she does have a few farkles.

She is a 1995 version

With LOW miles

ABS

Problems: 

Gas Tank

Broken Turn signal

Broken passenger peg guard -  Some Dumb ass backed into her when she was sitting outside.  Thanks Joe:dog

And one leaking fork seal

The gas tank doesn't bother me.  I wonder if BedLiner would stick.

So I took the seat off to just take a look and see if the mice had taken up residence in the air box and I open the cover for the tool kit and the complete kit is all there. :clap

Also there is the registration and insurance card from the owner before my buddy bought it.  Hell what do I have to lose?  I do the GOOGLE and low and behold his number pops up.  I jump on the cell phone and dial him up.  I get his wife because he is at BIKE NIGHT!!!!:rofl 

I leave my number and he calls back an hour later.  I was just wondering about the maintenance history and such.  Come to find out that he still has a boat load of extra parts for the bike.  After market exhaust, FI controller, extra brain, shocks, etc...  He offers to sell them to me for $300.00 I jump on it.

Yeah she aint new, but since selling my KLR, I have been looking for a road worthy dual sport.  The R1100GS had the 5 speed trans and the low first gear.  That is good for me since I want to do 50/50 riding and not just to Starbucks.

I will keep this thread updated as I do the maintenance and add a few farkles. 

:clap:clap:clap
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hank

Very cool.  Nice find!

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

loingrader

Awesome.  Ugly bikes are way more fun to ride than pretty ones.  Have fun!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

That's great.  Oh yea, rhino line the tank would be just the ticket for the Superbeast.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

grubbie

Looks like Plumber Mike might have put a few miles on it.......

greatbuffalo

Rhino Liner will stick for a while.... then put more on. Looks like some spending goodies on that machine. Just a shame it was out in the cold like an unloved dog.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

torgo

I road Superbeast with my brother in the CycleWorld Adv Rally.  If you have instagram search for #shamwows5758 to see all our posts. 

I can't believe the places we took the big bikes.  Seems like we always took the hard way into every challenge point. :-\ :-\
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Bogus Jim

What did you think of the Adventure Rally format, with the maps and challenge points, etc.? Was it more fun than the typical group rides?

I have been wondering if we should do something like that for one of the DDSR rallies but it would require far more planning than we currently do, so probably won't happen.