News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

CX 500 Turbo

Started by Bogus Jim, May 22, 2015, 11:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Never seen one of these in person... no I would not pay $5k for one. Cool bike though.

https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcd/4984942623.html

greatbuffalo

Thats a beauty.

Never knew they put a turbo on that motor. I had a SilverWing many moons ago for a brief time. Liked the motor but the carbs were a pain. It was easier to sync 4 carbs on my Yammy XJ than the 2 on that things.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

Those bikes are amazing.  They had the boost turned way up on the 82.  Were detuned in 83.  The 82 is like flipping a switch when the turbos spooled up.  Better not be in a turn.  Most of them ended up wrecked. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Bogus Jim

Quote from: loingrader on May 23, 2015, 09:47:25 PM
Most of them ended up wrecked.

I guess the bike was considered a success then?

loingrader

The success was blowing the liter bikes out of the water on a 500 cc Honda.  Research all the tech that went into the fuel management.  Its impressive for 1982.  They were running 19 lbs of boost without any changes to beef up the engine or drive train.  Those CX and GLs were built like a tank.  They were always ugly but I'm a fan. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

loingrader

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 22, 2015, 08:38:28 PM
Thats a beauty.
Liked the motor but the carbs were a pain. It was easier to sync 4 carbs on my Yammy XJ than the 2 on that things.

I synch mine by hand, watching the butterfly's opening.  Works for me.  8)

greatbuffalo

I guess these found their way into the ditch like many of the Yamaha XJ Seca turbos and the early 80's Porsche 911 Turbos. The turbos were very laggy and when they did come in it was getting kicked in the backside by a mule. On the Seca, the front wheel would leave the ground when the boost came on, with the Porsche, the back end would step out. Either way, you were going in the ditch without judicious use of throttle.

Bogus Jim

Well most of us like a little more power than we can handle... so if most of the CX 500 turbos ended up wrecked, the bike was a success by that definition.  ;D

Fletch

Marv at the Honda shop in Mitchell used to have one in the back, it was cool just to look at. Unfortunately I never got to ride one.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Dr Psyko

Speaking of Porsche 911 Turbo's, back in the 80s when I was working at the Mercedes\BMW store, I took a 1986 911 Turbo in on trade.  At that time they only had four-speed transmissions because they would destroy the five speed in the normal 911.  If you were anywhere close to going around a curve when the turbo kicked in, it would absolutely swap ends.  I was on a test drive with an idiot customer who did this.  Didn't know when I jumped out of the car if I would punch him, or crack up.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

And speaking of fast cars in general, I got a ride in a Hellcat Challenger yesterday.   That was fun, to say the least.   707 HP gets a car moving right a long.  Quickly.

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

greatbuffalo

My kid is enamored with the Hellcat

Bogus Jim

$59,900 / 707 hp = $84.70 per hp. That's better than a lot of motorcycles...

Fletch has a pretty funny story about trying to pass a Corvette twin turbo on the interstate.

Lonesome Dave

I've probably heard it, but would like to hear it again!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

I'll let Fletch tell the story but there was a lot of tire smoke involved...  ;D