News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Dealer/Service thoughts

Started by BCB1080, May 28, 2015, 05:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCB1080

Hey Rapid City and Spearfish area KTM owners current and previous I have a few questions.
I'm wanting to have a dealer or other MC shop do a valve adjustment on my 08 990 Adv-s and Potentially also install a CJD water pump seal kit. I had a pretty negative experience with the dealer in Gillette buying the bike so I don't really want to take it there. I feel like they would just ransom my bike and sell my parts on EBAY. The problem with doing it myself is it takes me a long time the first time (going slow...extra careful etc.), time I could send riding and enjoying while not working. I like wrenching but really only in the winter in my garage. Anyway I want to drop the bike off before a long stretch at work then go pick it up and have confidence in what was done. Can you guys vouch for the quality of the guys at Rice in RC? Recommend any other shops you would have this done to your bike at? I would appreciate any feed back.

Sadly I have a hunch I'm going to tackle these time hogs myself because I feel like I can't trust dealers/shops to do QUALITY work and know KTM Adv. nuances/minutia.

Hank

I can't speak for the dealers out there, but I've done both water pump seals and a valve check on a 950. 

Doing the water pump seals is pretty easy, so if you do tackle that its only an hour or three if I remember right.   
I'd recommend putting the valve check off until winter :)   That's a big job!    I think it took me the better part of a weekend.

Robmicgrn

Rice Honda?   :-X  Don't get me started.............

I am surprised you had problems in Gillette. I have talked to them a few times, but have never purchased or had service done there. I know if I have a problem with one of the KTM's, I am either going to have to fix it, live with it or ship it. I think there is a new KTM dealer in Sioux Falls.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

the one is SF seems to be decent. I haven't had any work done there, but they put a lot of effort into answering questions. They even called their KTM rep while I was standing there to answer a question for me..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

I'd talk to Gage at MX Connection, Rapid City.  He's very particular and has always done a great job for me.  Just ask him if he wants to work on it.  He'll tell you.  If its a race week (racing on coming weekend) he can be very busy and hard to get him to work on anything but race bikes. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dr Psyko

Is that the small shop in a industrial zoned area? If so that guy saved my ass one trip. Clutch cable broke on the DR as we were riding out, late friday afternoon. Started calling people from the phone book, no dice, but a shop recommended these guys. He came over with a trailer, built me a new clutch cable, total bill was 60 something bucks... Did I say late friday afternoon?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Bogus Jim

Dr Psyko

Yep, those are the guys. Down to earth, and a classic small bike shop.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

BCB1080

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feed back. I will probably run till oil change and do my water pump seal. Still gonna hem and haw on the valve adj.

Okoyote

I checked the SF shop last fall on a valve adjustment and they had never done one.  I didn't want to be the first.

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

BCB1080

Quote from: Okoyote on June 08, 2015, 09:52:22 PM
I checked the SF shop last fall on a valve adjustment and they had never done one.  I didn't want to be the first.

Yikes can't blame you there. I'd rather stumble through my first then let somebody else. I'm going to see if the dealer in Sioux City "BAK" bmw ktm can fit me in when I am there in July. I stopped in last time I was over there and he (the owner Dave Bak...if I remember right) seemed really genuine and knowledgeable. Familiar with the area I ride, loves WY, 990 owner for a long time too.

Okoyote

A coworker here in watertown used to get all his bmw service done at BAK.  He was happy with them.  In defense of the SF shop it is a new KTM dealer and when I talked to the service manager they were still unpacking boxes.  Still, an experienced mechanic gets my vote if I'm gonna pay the big bucks.  When mine is due I think I'll do it myself. 

Hank

Watertown?  Didn't realize that.  We should have lunch.

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

Okoyote

We are doing the Trans SD trail and dakal over the next week and a drop in at the spring rally is a possibility. Hope to meet some of the members. Don't mean to hijack the thread!