News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trail Damage

Started by Lonesome Dave, June 08, 2015, 09:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Just received this from Tim Grosz, president of ORA.  Apparently its an email from Ben Schumacher to ORA asking for help is trying to stop people from tearing up muddy trails.  We've actually had about two days in a row that it hasn't rained.  FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Subject: Trail Damage
To: "cdkdhague@rap.midco.net" <cdkdhague@rap.midco.net>, Tim Grosz <offroadriderspresident@gmail.com>, "Craig Grunenfelder (craig.grunenfelder@ihs.gov)" <craig.grunenfelder@ihs.gov>

All:

Just reaching out to you guys and letting you know that we are receiving many reports of road and trail damage due to all the rain we are getting.  Vehicles are becoming stuck all over in places that have not usually had issues.  Places that are notorious for being wet are now completely torn up.  I can't do any work on these areas until it dries out, and the forecast is not showing a let up anytime soon.  All the damage caused now, will delay our planned work for the remainder of the year.  Your organizations have stepped up in volunteering and being a voice for trail users.  I am asking for that voice again to reach out to as many users as possible and reiterate that the trails we have now are getting destroyed by misuse.  We need users to stay away from muddy roads and trails and to please respect the gates and closures still in place to protect our resources.  Please put this out far and wide so that everyone is aware of the problems.  If you are out and see an area that is getting damaged, please let me know so we can get it added to our list of things to do.  Thanks again for helping out, and lending a hand.  Once all this water is gone, we will be asking for your help again to get a more thorough damage assessment district wide.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Ben

Older - Wiser - Faster !

tannerc

I talked to the folks at the Northern Hills & Mystic offices today about riding this weekend, the motorized portion of Centennial is closed but most everything else is open, anything that is closed will say so. They said some of the seasonal stuff is still closed mainly because they have not got around to opening all the gates yet  :o 

The main thing is "Use Your Head & Tread Lightly" 95% of DDSR members practice this anyway.

They requested that if we see anyone damaging anything to snap pictures and call them in. I was usually pretty passive when I saw such things taking place but not anymore. Last year we found a nice meadow on a trail in the lead area, we came back to it two weeks later during the spring ride and the 4 wheeled vehicles had completely destroyed it, pissed me off. Hate to be a snitch but assholes need to be held accountable.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Yup. Those are the idiots that mess it up for the rest of us.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Stevsie

Reposted to the Book of Faces. We don't need anymore gates closed/installed in the hills.

Closerox

I just came in, maybe I will not comment, but I like it here.