Started by Hank, June 29, 2015, 10:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

It'll be here before we know it.

Date:  9/10-9/13 look ok?    LD might want to have it in November?  :evil

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Thanks Hank!  :P   Labor Day is Monday Sept. 7th.  Three days later the rally starts.  I don't think it's a problem for me, but wondering if it would be for others. 

I would like to go back to Mountain Meadows (Deerfield).  A couple of others indicated they would like to go back there too, minus the snow.  I like the campground and easy access to trails.  I talked to Mnt. Meadows this past weekend when I was up there.  The new managers were pretty excited about the possibility of us having the rally there.  They also said it's pretty much open as far as reservations go.

Mnt Meadows location allows for riders that want to try to make the Custer Loop, a possibility.  There's other caves that Jim and I found this past weekend.  Plus, we also found three caves right on the Custer Loop.  We also wandered around around the Hell's Canyon area which is really nice.

That's my two cents worth.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

I like Mnt Meadows real well too.     

I imagine that date could be a problem.. but we can adjust if a few people chime in.   I'm game for then or a week later.
I'll bring a snowmobile just in case.   8)   I'll start a poll.

greatbuffalo

Either way works for me.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

NDave

My vote is for Sept 17.     I have a new grandkid coming in early Sept.     Grandma will make my life interesting if I miss it

sandhillrider

Either date works for us.

NDave how did the welcoming committee like the camper remodel?

NDave

Well I went for the sympathy plan and limped around on my sore leg.     I first reminded my dear sweet wife that the terrible injury happened before leaving for the rally.    A little vacuuming dusting and dishwashing later Iwas home free.     

Dr Psyko

Always have wanted to come out in September, I bet it's beautiful out there.  Unfortunately, that time of the year I have old intern's leaving, and new interns starting with the beginning of the new school year.  While you guys are having fun I'll be up to my elbows in excited but nervous doc students (think golden lab puppies) who are eager to please but don't have a clue what to do (and they hate discovering after all of their studying and jumping through hoops, they are clueless when they first start working with real patients).

Cheers
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

Last few rallies Lonesome Dave sorta gets stuck leading all the group rides.     If occurs to me that maybe he doesn't want to do that, or at least doesn't want to be the default group ride leader!    By the way, thanks a ton for doing that for everyone!

I'd be more than happy to take a group out too, but my problem is I don't live there and I don't know my way around all that well, so I'm thinking I'd like to get out there for a pre-rally weekend with whoever is interested to map some routes and split up the responsibility.

Does that make any sense, or is anyone interested?

The only thing I'd add is that is I really don't want to spend a whole lot of time riding gravel roads.    I only get out there a few times a year and would like to stick to offroad riding, whether its single track or dual use stuff.   I can ride gravel roads at home :)

So anyway I'm more than happy to take a group out if there is a group that would like to follow me, and I have the option to put together a loop in advance (with some help from the locals).

Duffer and I took a small group through Camp 5 during the spring rally and we had a good time, but I also realize that type of riding isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Fletch

not so good on the mapping stuff, I'm lost most of the time, but I would take a small group for some single track if anyone is interested.

this type of stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGkb-Nu49sM

My little brother by the way Hank.

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Those are some good trails what is the # of these trails.

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Hank on July 09, 2015, 10:09:33 AM
Last few rallies Lonesome Dave sorta gets stuck leading all the group rides.     If occurs to me that maybe he doesn't want to do that, or at least doesn't want to be the default group ride leader!    By the way, thanks a ton for doing that for everyone!

I'd be more than happy to take a group out too, but my problem is I don't live there and I don't know my way around all that well, so I'm thinking I'd like to get out there for a pre-rally weekend with whoever is interested to map some routes and split up the responsibility.

Does that make any sense, or is anyone interested?

The only thing I'd add is that is I really don't want to spend a whole lot of time riding gravel roads.    I only get out there a few times a year and would like to stick to offroad riding, whether its single track or dual use stuff.   I can ride gravel roads at home :)

So anyway I'm more than happy to take a group out if there is a group that would like to follow me, and I have the option to put together a loop in advance (with some help from the locals).

Duffer and I took a small group through Camp 5 during the spring rally and we had a good time, but I also realize that type of riding isn't everyone's cup of tea.

My two cents: I actually think LD likes leading, but the group was huge, and I know he tried to appease a lot of different types and skill level of riders. I also know he was absolutely exhausted at the end of it. I went with his group on Friday, because he knows lots of cool places to see, and a million different ways of getting there. Thanks Dave!

Just an observation: Many folks come with groups/friends and seem to be fine going off in there own small groups, meeting up at camp and socializing at the end of the day. Others come, and are looking for like minded riders to ride with at the rally, and generally tag along in the large group whether it is a good fit or not, usually not knowing exactly what they are getting into. I believe it is a matter of better communication amongst the rally goers as to what type of trails (single track, double track, gravel roads etc.), traveling speed (scenic cruise, wide open and in between), use of highways, length of ride etc... (could be very simple or complicated) by sharing what you want to do, beforehand, may assist getting the like minded riders together, or at least pointed in the right direction. Obviously, not everyone needs help with this.

I personally don't want to do single track all day, nor do I want to gravel roads all day either (I am better with a little bit of everything). I prefer smaller groups to larger ones. I can lead and be lead. I will help new riders when I can, and enjoy riding with, watching and learning from veteran riders (and I picked up a lot at this last rally riding with Ryani and his friends).

I certainly don't think riders came and did not have a good time, at least I didn't hear or see that. I know that I had a blast.

Maybe it is just a matter of more people stepping up to the plate, telling what kind of riding they intend on getting into beforehand, and letting those that want to go that direction, tag along?

I don't know what the head count was this last rally, but it seemed larger to me than the previous 3 I have been to. Maybe it is time to just get a tad bit more organized?

Being local, I don't mind helping when I can, but I also get the feeling that some in the group take pride in the fact that the group is somewhat higgledy-piggledy.

"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Hank if you come out to explore some trails around Deerfield let me know I would enjoy riding there some more to learn my way around that area. I have been trying to get over that way and explore but seems I have to take pavement all the way there to do this . Wish they would open some of my routes to get there. The June rally was a good time really enjoyed it.

Hank

It was a really good turn out.  I know a few years ago I counted over 60 bikes, which was really big.  Didn't get a count this year, but I bet this was our second biggest turn out.

I'm up for whatever.   I'd actually really like to come out for a scouting weekend and layout some tracks (it's really just an excuse to ride another weekend), but I'd want to do it with somebody or I might get lost and have to eat my own leg.