News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2014 Super Tenere

Started by greatbuffalo, July 28, 2015, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

So as most of you know I took possession of a 2014 Super Tenere after much deliberation. No it's time to farkle it.

I've ordered a rear rack from Happy Trails and will run my Pelican cases till i decide what I really want (Jesse's?) to put on.

I also looked at a lot of crash bars. the one that came out on top was the Rumbux. A company out of South Africa. Got lucky the US distributor had a set on hand. Otherwise it can be a 3-6 week wait. Take a look at this product. Quite interesting.
http://rumbux.co.za/products.html

I'm down to tires. I love the Heidenau tires with the long life and great rear design. I'd like something a bit more agressive on the front, like a TKC 80. Anyone have much experiance mixing tire brands and models? Any advice?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

I ran a TKC 80 on the front and a Pirelli scorpion on the rear of my 950...  Worked fine for what I did with it... Which included some muddy trails in the hills. Nothing too gnarly though

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

Bogus Jim

The Mitas E-07 + TKC 80 front seems to be popular on ADV (supposedly the E-07 is better than the K60 in the mud). I think I'll try that combo next.

I'm on my second set of Big Blocks and the first set went a little over 5,000 miles. That was a huge surprise, I was expecting 3k miles, but maybe Kenda's change in compound a couple years ago made a difference. However the Big Block front wears kinda funny and a TKC 80 front is only $10 more than a Big Block, so I'll try the TKC front and see if it wears better.

greatbuffalo

I ordered the Heidenau K60 Scout for the rear and a TKC 80 for the front. We'll see it does what I want it to.

greatbuffalo

I've had a chance to live the Tenere for a while now and finding that even though I am getting more used to the snatchy throttle, I do continue to find it a PIA at times. Those of you who have ridden this model know what I'm talking about. It is far better in "touring" mode than in "sport". 

My search for a cure has led me to this, The Throttle Tamer. It comes with some great reviews. Only time will tell I guess.

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

The problem comes when you twist the throttle, it goes from closed to very open in a very short throw of the grip. It gives the feeling that that it is binary, not analog, on or off. This tube creates a cam effect where the grip turns further at the beginning of the throttle cycle, thus slowing down the opening of the throttle bodies in the beginning.

Hope it works.

Hope it works

Hank

Those were real popular on the first years of 990 EFI which was really snatchy.  I'm sure it will help.

Can the S10 be remapped without too much trouble, or is that an out of warranty only proposition.

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

greatbuffalo

The reflashes have proven to be useless for this problem. I understand it has everything to do the mechanical operation of the throttle. Manyy guys have had their ECU's flash with little or no help. There is a new ECU box out there that has shown some improvements but all I read, this is the simple answer to relatively simple problem.

There have been many bike that have been plagued with this problem, the 990, ST1300, FZ-07, 600RR, etc. the list goes on. Not sure why they can't figuer this out in the development phase but what ever. I'll give this a shot.

Its not a problem that turn me off from the machine, its just one of those little niggling things that annoy me at times, like riding in traffic or tight technical stuff. I have become better at clutch control.

greatbuffalo

Installed my G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer this morning then took a 220 mile trip. The G2 makes a world of difference. Having to retrain myself again as I had started to get a bit used to the what it was like. That is a good "problem" though.

Would recommend it to anyone with the same throttle issue.

greatbuffalo

So, its been a long winter already and its its only half over. This hasn't stopped me from spending hard (up for debate around here) earned dollars on farckles. I have in my possession but yet to be installed; grip heaters, Rox risers, shock boots, headlight guard, and axle sliders.

I am on the lookout for a few more things. The thing that prevents me from purchasing some of these items is PRICE! OMG what these after market companies want for stuff. The things I covet but yet to justify the cost are;

Touratech footpegs. The stock footpegs are cast and there are many reports of them snapping with even a light fall. At 190 bucks though the Touratechs are out of my league. I am currently researching other options. The 2014 Tenere is limited on option in this area. I have read that pegs that fit the WeeStrom will fit with a bit of grinding to get them to fit the bike mounts. SW Motech has a $140 option but read its no better than the stock peg. I have also read that pegs from the Honda XR models can be made to fit with little effort.

I am also looking for a longer sifter lever with spring loaded end. Again, the one I covet is the Wunderlich adjustable model is 140 bucks. OUCH! I have been reading the build thread of a guy that has been around the world several times and has just built a 12 Tenere for his next ATW trip that has just started. He took a flat steel generic Ebay lever and cut it and welded it to the stock lever. This may be the best way to go. I just need to get some gas for my welder instead of flux core wire for that job.

I am looking into some other handle bars and thinking about the Protaper EVO Adventure bars. The bands are a bit wider, taller and flatter then the stock. These are onll about 60 bucks but will wait till I get my risers on and see how my stock bars feel then. I kinda wish I had thought about this before I bought the risers as I think I would have done the bar swap first. I did look into Flex bars at the encouragement of another S10 owner but at $350+ I think I'll pass.

I am awaiting delivery of my new side cases. I really wanted Jesse system cases but as you've already figured out, I'm a cheap SOB. After much deliberation and reading many positive and negative posts about them and the builder, I settles on the SOLOBOX. Made by a one man shop in Washington they are a HappyTrails knockoff really. I contacted Eric to feel him out a bit. I had read about many dissatisfied buyers from him a few years back. It seems that personal things got in the way of business and things got away from him. Most recent posts talk about a guy that has turned his practices around and is a straight shooter. the one thing against him is the wait. I ordered mine sometime before Christmas and will finally be getting them on Saturday. What he has going for his product is the price. I paid 340 bucks, shipped,  for nearly 40 liter boxes. For $399 you could buy the boxes and mounts for a few bikes: KLR and Veestrom that I know of. From what folks say, they are well built and well worth the price of admission. Here's a link to a your tube review.

My boxes are 2 inches wider than these. Will post some pics and a bit of a review when they get here. If the weather is right and they get here soon enough, I may get them mounted.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Bogus Jim

Grip heaters are SO nice for high elevation riding. Seems like it's always ice cold in the morning, even if it hits 90 later in the day. Glad I took the time to put them on the Tiger.

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Yes I too love heated grips. I have them on my Tiger but this year all my bikes will get them.

greatbuffalo

Today I put my bar risers on, just have to work on freeing up some lines. I like the feel but will only know when I really ride.

Also got my Solobox cases mounted and really like them, especially at 340 bucks shipped. We'll see how they hold up on the trail.

greatbuffalo

Got my lines straightened out. The front brake line is still a wee bit tight but is I'm not concerened. It still has some movement at full lock. The is a kit out there that extends the
clutch and break by 2 inches but at 150 bucks? Nope!

Now, if we get some warm weather. Will be ordering an Eastern Beaver power distribution box tonight.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Harry Potter

Did you add an off switch for the ABS?
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.