News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2014 Super Tenere

Started by greatbuffalo, July 28, 2015, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

That is on the list as is a clutch switch bypass. This keeps a better map in 1st and 2nd gears. Will be bypassed only when off road as with the ABS switch. When you kill the ABS you loose most if not all of your dash readout. Speedo for sure.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Harry Potter

To bad the abs is not on it's own fuse.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

greatbuffalo

So, the last few weeks I've spent some time in the shop on the big T.

Here's a list of whats been done.

- The rear break reservoir is very exposed and I wasn't happy with the way the line was run under instead of over the frame. The lines were run over the frame to prevent pinch or crush damage. I also fashioned an aluminum plate to prevent a rock or other foreign object from destroying the reservoir. Saved myself 80 bucks over buying an Altrider or Touratech guard.

- Got my Rigid Dually 2X2 lights. was a lengthy process over the past couple of months to decide on a location for these lights were they wouldn't interfere with my bash bars but would give good light. Haven't wired them up as I was waiting on my Eastern Beaver power distribution box to arrive. It came today but will have to wait till this weekend to get installed due to work.

- Changed out the cig power plug for a marine locking unit. Not much is more frustrating than constantly shoving your power cable into socket on rough terrain. I have one more of these and a USB plug to put in my infill dash plate.

- After much research and deliberation I have figured out 2 ways to defeat the ABS system. One is to tap into and place a switch in the ABS motor circuit. The other is to tap into and switch the ABS ECU circuit. With the latter option, when switch will not only defeat the ABS system but also the TCS. Although I like that option in theory I'm not sure as I want to tap into such a delicate and expensive device. As I already have a way to disable the TSC I think the switch in the ASB motor circuit will be the way to go. I have already tapped into the circuit and will complete the wiring when I get switches this weekend.

On a side note: Has anyone tried to find round waterproof flat rocker switches locally? After visiting 7 stores yesterday I was able to order them from Carquest.

- I pulled out the infill dash plate that I got last fall and installed without painting. I painted it yesterday with the hopes that all my wiring supplies would be here by the weekend and I could finally get stuff buttoned up. Aside from the switches that will be here Friday, I have it all.

- Still kicking around weather I want to do the clutch bypass switch. I guess when I get all the other stuff done I will revisit that mod and do a temporary bypass and see if it really makes a difference.

- After mounting my new side cases I wasn't completely happy with the rigidity of them on my Happy Trails racks. The HT racks has fairly narrow mounts on the top. If they were more spread out I don't think it would be an issue. I ended up cutting a 14 ga piece of aluminum to add some support to the cases. I'm happy with it now. It adds minimal weight and minimal expense. Easy fix.

That about covers the latest work. More to come.

Bogus Jim

I ordered a set of front brake pads for the Tiger but after reading your post I have this nagging feeling that I should be doing more.

greatbuffalo

If the bike was already sorted I'd let it sit but there are too many things I didn't get to last fall. I decided it was better to get this stuff done now before I won't have any time due to riding.

Fletch

I was thinking about washing mine, but I went for a ride instead.... ;D
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

I saw some geese flying north yesterday, that means spring is here right?

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Harry Potter

Greatbuffalo, your blue bike is my favorite color and I thought about painting my bmw that color but that new 2016 anniversary yellow & black from the seventies looks great on the S10. I just don't think the pattern would work on the Beemer though.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Hank

Way to make it your own GB.  Sometimes I think that part is almost as fun as riding them!

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

greatbuffalo

Well the Tenere is about ready for the riding season. Just finished up the "dash" portion of the project with a couple of wholes still there cause I thought I had odered a power meter and anothr power outlet but when I went back to look I found I never pulled the trigger. Those will be in this week and will only require plugging in as the wires are already run.

It took me a bit of time to find a good placec to mount the Eastern Beaver power box. Ended up finding a good place with a bit of plastic cutting to make things fit right. I really like the placement and took considerable time to make sure it was done right.

My latest deal was to sort the ABS cutout switch. This gave me a bit more difficulty than I thought it would. 

I researched the project and found conflicting reports. The big issue is that most of thecguys that have done this mod have been on gen 1 machines which is a huge difference in electronics. I poured over wiring schems and thought the best way to do this was to add a tap to the ABS pump and add a swtch to defeat that. Some have defeated the ABS ECU but to me that sounded a bit sketchy. The last thing I want to do in short the ECU. I have also read that any defeat of any component of the ABS system will kill all info on the dash screen. So, I tapped the ABS fuse and wired in a lighted switch. After wiring the switch to light up when the ABS is powered and the light off when the ABS is defeated. For some wierd reason when yhe ignition switch was off and the ABS switch in the off postion there was a dim glow on the switch. This would go dark when the ignition switch was turned to the on position. with ABS switch in the the on position and the ignition in the off postion there was no light but full light with the ignition switch on position. I poured over the schems to find why the would be power feeding back. No reasons could be found. I ran it by my dealer and he had no explanation either. My decision was to just remove the ground and eliminate the light on the switch.

When tested I was surprised to find that when the ABS pump is defeated I still have full info on the dash. Only the ABS light light is on to tell me the ABS is defeated. When returning back to ABS an engine shut down is required to reset the ECU to rid the failure warning on the dash. I'm very pleased with this mod.

I had spent sone time trying to decidevif I wanted an easier swutch to defeat the TSC also but I've put that idea to bed for the time being. I can still kill that from my TSC switch on the dash. The only pain is that if the bike stalls it requires the TSC sequence to be repeated. Its not as complicted as some so I'll live with it for now.

There still are a few things I want to do but forvthe most part things are ready to roll atvthis time. A few things to do are; better foot pegs, longer abd spring loaded shifter, better shaft guard that doesn't catch my pants when I put my left foot down, better seat and lastly, a bigger foot plate on the rear brake lever. Thosecthings will come over time. The important things are done. I'm ready for the COBDR.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dave

Wow, are you going to put a number plates on that? Then you'll be ready for any enduros that come along!   ;D
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Thst sounds like a great idea, Dave. Only problem is I'd be exhausted before the first check point.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Bogus Jim

Dan which highway pegs did you buy? I'd like to put on a pair, but seems like they are all low-quality junk like $20 Bikemasters, or $$$ like the $170 Adventure Designs.
http://www.advdesigns.com/pralhipebl.html

Maybe the Bikemasters would do the job, I don't care how they look I guess, just don't want something where the threads strip out as soon as I install it.

greatbuffalo

Jim, I have yet to buy foot pegs. I too have been stymied by the array or in my case, the lack of choice. I could buy a pair of low quality pegs and modify them a bit to work or spend the big bucks on Wunderlich, Pivot, or SW Motech pegs made for my application. I have read the SW Motech pegs at 160 bucks are no better than the ones that are on it. So, I'm still doing the research. I believe I will end up with a quality basic set made for the Honda XR650 and do a bit of grinding to make them work. I found a set "somewhere" for about 65 bucks, billet aluminium, CNC cut. I'll have to se if I can hunt those down again.

I have not heard great things about the stoke pegs so want to get them changed out at some point, just don't know when.