Come on, summer...

Main Menu

My $150 Winter Project

Started by Osnabrock, September 16, 2015, 10:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osnabrock

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Osnabrock

It's been a few years since I've taken on a winter project bike.  My last one was my 2003 Gas Gas EC200 a few seasons ago, my first foray into two stroke bikes.  Before that, a couple of mid 80's Honda XL600Rs, an adventure in air cooled thumpers. 
I like winter bike projects for many reasons...... the smell of oil and gas in the house in midwinter, the excuse it offers to hole up in my basement in the dark evenings, and the idea of having a possibly having new bike to ride come Spring time.
I haven't been actively looking for a winter project but, ever since sitting on a modern Honda Ninja 300 at a motorcycle show, I've been thinking about exploring the world of a sport bike.  I've also been thinking about finding a touring bike.  I've been wondering if there is a bike that could suit both desires.  Mainly I like projects.
Last weekend I was inspired to float around the regional Craigslist postings before retiring to bed.  Recently, I haven't been in the habit of spending much time looking there because it often results in me spending money.  My timing was good though and I clicked on an ad that really contained nothing inspiring in it's title, only "Yamaha crotch rocket $150".  I read the ad, the photos looked awful, but the vocabulary and punctuation in the description suggested that the person posting it was legit and was not an idiot.  The description said nothing about what model bike it was only that it had been disassembled to repair a leaking head gasket and never put back together again.  They even had the title for the bike.
I thought, "A project bike for $150?  I can't go wrong."  We'll see.

Hank

That looks like fun!

Do you think you have all the parts?    My only concern about a Yammie of that vintage is parts availability, and also the cost of the parts if they are available.

I bought a Honda Nighthawk S in a box once, but mine was taken apart so far that the only thing that wasn't disassembled was the transmission shafts.  That bike had a spun crank bearing.     With some help from my cousin we eventually got it back on the road.

Osnabrock

So far things look pretty good in the parts department.  Before I went to look at the bike I did a search to see what sort of availability there is for the bike.  I think with the advent of Ebay, you can find just about anything. 
I had a list of things to look for when I went to check out the bike.  All the high dollar parts were there, the head, exhaust, and plastics. 
When I first went through the boxes I made a list of things that I thought could be missing.  As I dig deeper they are turning up.  I'm quite pleased.
Today I got rained out of work so I did a little bit of work taking things apart.
I cleaned and honed the cylinder.  It's amazing what a difference a fresh hone can do to an old cylinder.
I also pulled the pistons.  There was no head on the engine when I got it and I don't know how long it had been sitting that way.  There was a lot of crap in there.
With the dismantling of the engine also came the first order of parts.
-Base gasket and head gasket from Ebay
-New piston rings from Babbits
I'm a little concerned about the piston rings.  I half expect to receive an email that they've been discontinued.  Your concern may be warranted Hank.
I'll know soon.

Hank

It's nice that's it's air cooled and 2 valve... Less stuff to worry about finding parts for.   It will be a fun project for sure.    I'm currently trying to find carb parts for a 1990 Honda cb-1 and it's a bit of a challenge, but there was probably 50 times as many fz600s sold as that cb-1.

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

mitchn06

2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

Osnabrock

It has been slow going.
My interest level for the project has been low but I've been picking away at it for the last many months.
Over the last couple winters I've rebuilt the top end.  It looks like the reason it was tore down was from a stuck valve and possibly some oil starvation issues.  I've done new rings, honed the valves, replaced the cams, new valve seals, etc.  I didn't touch the bottom end.  I'm forgetting some details but thats par for the course on a project like this.
Just this spring I reunited the engine and frame. 
Now I'm on th the carbs.  I've never seen carbs so gummed up.  They were sitting in a tray with what must have been gear lube so you can just imagine their state.  After much soaking, I've stripped out one air screw and one pilot jet so I've got (hopefully) replacements on the way from a Yamaha Radian.  As Hank suggested, some items are hard time come by on a bike of this age.
Maybe I'll start taking some photos because i am getting excited as things take shape.

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."