News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Goggles

Started by Hank, September 22, 2015, 12:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

OK, whats the best sealing goggles money can buy?

I have this nasty eye condition called recurrent corneal erosions (RCE).   The gist of it is that the top two layers of tissue on my eye (there are 5) don't "bond" together correctly.   Because of this, the top layer of your cornea, or bits n pieces of it, can easily get wiped off.      2 years ago I had my right eye treated with the laser, where they basically burn off the top few layers and hope they grow back in better shape.    My right eye has been pretty good since, but my left eye isn't so good.     About every 2 weeks I have a small episode, but they are minor, usually healing within a day.

However, 3 of my worst episodes have happened within a day or two of riding in the hills.    I think the fine dust, and maybe how abrasive it is (mica?), is a real problem.  I ALWAYS wear goggles, but some gets past.

My left eye has been sore since I got home, and last night I had a granddaddy erosion... horrible pain, a flood of tears, extreme light sensitivity, etc etc.   Back to the eye Dr. this am and he tried this puncture treatment, where basically he stabbed the affected area about 30 times with a needle to attempt to "knit" the layers back together.    If it fails, I'll be heading down for laser treatment on that eye.

He said my current erosion is 3mm X 4mm.. so if you've ever scratched your eye badly, imagine a scratch that's that huge and you get the idea of how pleasant it is.

But, even if I get if fixed I have to be real careful... and keeping that BH dust out extremely important.    I wore my goggles religiously this weekend.. but granted the foam on them is getting pretty shitty.     

Anyone have goggles they really think work well?

But at least I didn't hit a deer.

Robmicgrn

I have yet to ride with a pair of goggles that keeps dust out 100%. Desert racers use a system called parker pumpers(Parker was the original, many knockoffs now). It essentially a fresh air filtering system keeping positive pressure in the helmet, keeping dust out. I have heard of similar systems for motorcycle/atv use that are smaller and battery powered.

I cant imagine what that must feel like. ouch!
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

some baby oil on the foam parts of the goggles helps trap dust a little better (think K&N filter).
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

I concur with Fletch. Take some spay filter oil and spray your edge foam. We used to do this when grinding concrete. works well.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Appreciate the input.   I'll get new goggles and try some baby oil.

I suppose I could spray them down with some fab-1 oil filter oil, but I'm afraid I'd pull off the goggles and leave the foam stuck to my face, lol.  Would be a good look though.

My eye feels quite a bit better today.  Hopefully I can see out of it in another day or two.

Lonesome Dave

Hank, I asked Gage about it.  He said use the baby oil.  He also said they make a desert goggle that has thicker or denser foam.  The dense foam filters the dirt better, but can be hotter.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Went under the laser today.  Hopefully that's the end of this crap.   But I'll still be oiling up my goggle foam.

greatbuffalo

Hope you get relief. Eye problems suck!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?