News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Howdy from SE ND

Started by locopny, October 09, 2015, 02:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locopny

Howdy...Picked up my current bike (1987 Honda XL600R) this last spring. I'm due to bring it home from UT in the next month or so for some maintenance.  This is the 3rd 600 Honda for me. Previous were an 84 and an 86.  would like to meet and ride in the Hills or ????

Used to ride all over the CA deserts on these....and once from LA, CA to SLC, UT.....recall it was fun-just not overly fast.

hopefully this shows up.  it has a rear rack on it now....from the ad I bought it from.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

greatbuffalo

Welcome Loco. Riding will be getting rarer from here out but stayed tuned for Spring Rally info nearer the beginning of the year.

There may be the odd ride, keep an eye on the "who's riding" section.

Again, welcome to the forum. Great folks around here.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Welcome!

I love your bike.   There is something extra cool about that vintage Honda to me, especially with those colors.     Probably a nostalgia thing for me.

We'll start planning the June rally in a few months so we have something to look forward to.

mitchn06

Welcome to the addiction, umm I mean forum. I had the 86 xr600r a few years ago. Fun bike, wish I still had it. Hopefully meet you in the spring, as there was zero Hondas at the past 2 rallys with the exception of duffers xr650r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

ryani

Love the bike! Welcome to the club.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Fletch

welcome, hope yours works as well as Duffers ;D
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

thanks for the welcome.

I stupidly sold my 86 that I had all set the way I wanted before moving to the great north plains.  Had this type through college and plenty of miles.  Finally found its replacement. I have a couple months to get it where I'd like it to be yet.  Should be a couple good days to run the bike during the winter....hope hope hope.....just have to let it warm up longer before I ride.  That clutch lever can feel mighty stiff once its cold   haha
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Buzz

Welcome aboard.....

Maybe we'll see ya on a Black Hills trail. Ever been out this way?

Lots of Hondas around here.

If you happen across any '74/'75 (Falta) CZ 400s gimme a call.

Buzz.
Life is good.

locopny

Not on a bike Buzz... Sure want to however.  Half the reason for getting another bike. 

Did drive around the Hills some in my Bronco a few years ago....there was 4 of us on that trip checking out logging roads and dirt paths. 
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

locopny

Well after forgetting my password and taking forever to get the bike titled and back from Utah....I have it sitting in the garage (after riding it around for the day of course) in ND now as of last week.
I'm almost game for a quick ride dodging those pheasant hunters.
back to the forum for searching.....
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Abercrombie

Welcome to the forum Locopny from a fellow SE ND native.  I am fairly new to the forum also and joined to find fellow dual sport riders to enjoy the sport with.  I am planing on making a Dakota Dual Sport Riders event or two next summer if I can squeeze it in.

locopny

Abercrombie...like the town?

I'm in Ellendale (south of Jamestown)  nothing much except a few spectacular section line roads to test the skill level.  I am trying to get the shelter belt set for skill building and used the skidder to mound up some of the dirt piles to create a challenge. 
Interested in that DakAL...or atleast parts of it.  One of those trips I'd like to get my dad out on if I can find him another bike.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Abercrombie

Quote from: locopny on October 18, 2016, 01:31:20 AM
Abercrombie...like the town?

I'm in Ellendale (south of Jamestown)  nothing much except a few spectacular section line roads to test the skill level.  I am trying to get the shelter belt set for skill building and used the skidder to mound up some of the dirt piles to create a challenge. 
Interested in that DakAL...or atleast parts of it.  One of those trips I'd like to get my dad out on if I can find him another bike.

Yep, like the town.  We will have to meet up and go for a ride sometime.   Yes, SE North Dakota has a very little to offer for dual sport riding. 

There is some nice country half way in between Abercrombie and Ellendale in the sand hills South of Leonard, but I believe it is all private pasture or Natural Grass lands and I am not aware of any place to ride other than the roads.

Another place that I think would be fun to ride and camp is just West of you along the Sheyenne river near the Little Yellowstone park and camp ground.  Again I don't know what access or riding is available along the Sheyenne river valley but I would have a blast just riding the dirt and gravel roads in that area.

locopny

i'm game aber....

looking into a new skid lid and maybe some other protective stuff.  doing some maintenance right now on the bike, but mostly could be done quick I suspect.    Or were you not thinking of this year yet? 
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Abercrombie

Quote from: locopny on October 23, 2016, 03:30:10 PM
i'm game aber....

looking into a new skid lid and maybe some other protective stuff.  doing some maintenance right now on the bike, but mostly could be done quick I suspect.    Or were you not thinking of this year yet?

I'm game for any time this fall or next summer. I'm a Fargo fireman so my schedule is a bit strange with the 24 hour shifts but it gives me a lot of days off to ride.