News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Thinking about a COBDR ride

Started by greatbuffalo, October 24, 2015, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Hey all. Been doing a bunch of research on a ride for next summer and have about decided on the COBDR. Thinking the 2nd, 3rd or 4th week in July. The route takes about 1 week to complete plus you have to figure time to get to the Four Corners area to start and then time to get back home from Western Wyoming. So I think 2 weeks would be a good span of time and that way one wouldn't feel they need to push to get done and maybe a rest and relax day in the middle.

Watching the video reminded me of the GDR we did the year before and saw a few of the places we saw on that trip including a water crossing that was some bigger than when we went through.

My initial plan is to take my Tenere and ride the whole trip rather than dealing with the hassle of trailering.

So, anyone else feel the need to do a trip like this next summer? All of these plans I have in my head can be flexible if others need to do it at a different time.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Sounds fun, I've ridden sections of it and it was fantastic. 
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

gerry1eye

Yep, after visiting with a bmw dude doing that route last year at the Clark store, its been on my list of rides to do. You planning on camping or motels?
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

Bogus Jim

I hope to do another two-week trip next summer. Out west somewhere, so COBDR is one I'd consider doing.

I think July might be too early for some of the passes but depends on the snow they get this winter I suppose.

greatbuffalo

I'm a bit flexible on when this goes off. I was thinking and doing some checking that most passes should be open by the third week of July. When we did part of the CDR 2 summers ago the second week of July, all the passes were open. That is however, never a guarantee.

I thought that playing this by ear ma be the best way to roll. Camp some nights and motel/cabin others. A route like this almost impossible to plan day to day where and when you will be at a specific place. Again, I'm open and flexible on this as well. Camping is always cheaper but a soft bed, hot shower, and A/C are always a great relief from the trail.

I do really want to plan for extra time on this trip. My health is not always the best so some days I move slower than others and at times, although I hope it doesn't happen, can't move at all. I also love to explore and spend time in places I've never been. I hate the thought of rolling by a place I've never been and not stopping because I have a tight deadline. I think the 2 week time frame leaves room fro rest, site seeing, and any unfortunate event that may crop up.

Fletch

this was what I encountered the second week of June on about every pass:

I do need to go back:

Should be able to avoid this with a July date:

And I'll skip this part next time as well:

greatbuffalo

Fletch, what section was it where you took a nap?

Fletch

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think that was on the route. I stayed a couple days in Durango to hang out with some classmates and rode LaPlata canyon, I believe that was where the KTM got sleepy?

torgo

We did the COBDR last year and it only took 5 days and we didn't rush.  We did it on our KTM640 and KTM690 bikes.

Had the wife drive us down to Four Corners and meet us every night at the Motel.  Started by 8am every day and almost always done by 4pm.

Was a great time.  Planning on the ID BDR next year.
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

greatbuffalo

I've been watching a bunch of youtube vids on the subject and may change my mind and take my KLR instead. Mind not made up yet but thinking about it.

Got some maps coming.

Riding vicariously through youtube is getting old. Come on Spring.

Bogus Jim

The Tenere is prettier, I think you should bring that.

Fletch

greatbuffalo

Okay, the Tenere it will be.

I have nailed down some dates.
I have set aside these dates: July 4 - 21.

-My tentative plan is to take a couple days to get packed and do any leftover bike work.

-Leave for Rapid on Thursday (7th) or Friday (8th).

-Leave from the Hills on Saturday or Sunday and make our way to Southwest Colorado.

-Start the COBDR on Monday or Tuesday.

-Take as much time on the route as we want or finish the route and do some more riding. My only limitation is to be back home by the 21st as I have to work the next night.

I have had conversations with several folks who have done the route is several different ways. A couple have done the route and taken many side trips lengthening the trip to well over a week. I have talked to people who have done the route start to finish and then toured the state for a few days on more trail and asphalt.

Not knowing what your time constraints are I`m open to anything. If you have only have a short time we can do the CODBR and and part company and I will continue to travel a bit with little to no plan.

Personally I`d rather take the time to do side trips along the way and take more time but as usual, I`m up for anything and VERY flexible between my time constraints. I just wanna get out and ride.

Your two cents, please.............. I'm open to any suggestions.
Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Fletch

I will se what I can do for time off, I won't be able to do the entire trip but would like to ride with you for a few days. We can discuss it on the long bus ride to Texas. 

Bogus Jim

90% sure I'm in, but may not be able to make the whole two weeks. Haven't given a lot of thought yet to side trips but I'm sure we'll have no problem coming up with ideas on where to go...