News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Thinking about a COBDR ride

Started by greatbuffalo, October 24, 2015, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

OK... I can finally commit. I have the 11th thru 15th off. Also taking the 8th. I'm flexible, we can leave Rapid City on Saturday morning or Friday afternoon, whatever works for you guys.

Fletch

I'm not going to be able to make it. I might* make a really quick trip down mid-week and see if I can meet up with you for a day.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Sorry to hear you can't make it Mike. Keep in contact with us and we can see if we can meet up along the way.

I think Saturday am may be the best time to leave but that would depend on Brad and Mark. Will check with them when they want to leave. I am done with work on Monday, can take tuesday and Wednesday to get ready and ride out on Thursday. As always I'm pretty flexable.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Any ideas for the route to 4 corners? Pikes Peak might be fun, I've never been up there.

On a previous trip to CO I went straight south of Edgemont, then past Fort Laramie and Grayrocks Reservoir. Nice route but a fair amount of gravel that will slow us down; probably don't want to dally too much, given the 800 mile distance.

greatbuffalo

I was looking at the maps tonight thinking about possible routes to get there. I was thinking that there aren't many alternatives between Rapid and Denver. I thought that once we get to Denver we can head up into the mountains and take ashpalt mountain roads to get to the 4 corners area.

Brad akso brought up something I had thoughtbabout before and that is to go North to South and when we reach the bottom, anyone who wanted could take a different route back up through the mountains. I do know there is another group doing the North to south option around the time we will be riding. I dont don't care either way. I think I would rather ride south to north so its shorter to get home at the end if thats what I want to do.

I really, really don't care how we do it butbif someone had a preferance I'd be game.

Still waiting to hear from Mark. Mark, are there? Any idea of tne state of affairs on the ranch?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

sandhillrider

Yes I am watching. I have been putting off giving the I'm out as long as possible.
Things just did not come together here on the ranch as I had hoped so have fun.
Thanks for the offer to join you.

Fletch

If things work out I will do a long day Monday (and Early) and try to find you Monday night or Tuesday morning. but, one never knows as my plans typically unravel.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Sorry to hear that Mark, I was really looking forward to making this trip with you.

gerry1eye

We are planning our Colorado ride around the passes listed in this web site.
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4564-list-of-the-highest-mountain-passes-in-colorado.html
Also have Butler map of Backcountry Discovery Route and will try to hit as much as possible. Highly recommend Mt. Evans on a clear day. I peddled my bike up there a couple of years ago and it was spectacular, although the down hill sucked because the pavement had so much frost heave, had to check my speed to less than 50 mph.
Hope to cross paths as we head north to south. 
Safe travels-Gerry
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

gerry1eye

Route update for KLR650- ND group, leaving Custer Sunday July 10. Ride is open and everybody is welcome to join in, although planning is so-so and flexible, maybe 250-300 miles a day. 10-12 days. I just started looking at my maps and books and I'm still looking for ideas and coaching. Getting to the Bighorns on the first day --- then???
Proposed route:
Heading west from Custer to Newcastle-Wright-Kaycee-then dirt road either N fork Power river or Crazy Woman canyon to the Cloud Peak scenic byway(gravel cut-off)-Ten sleep-Thermopolis-Wind River canyon-Riverton-Rawlins to the so called end of COBDR route. We will only ride the trail north to south to just past the Clark store where we will turn west to Hayden CO., south to flat tops scenic trail, down 17 to Rifle. We may take interstate west from Rifle past Grand Junction to Hwy 128 towards Moab, where we pick up the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route and ride it south thru the La Sal mountains down to Bluff Ut, then over to Four Corners where we will start riding north on the Colorado Backcounrty Discovery Route. Planning detours to also ride million dollar highway from Durango to Silverton to Ouray. I think this road is better than the Beartooth highway. COBDR route takes us back up to Steamboat Springs where we will turn east over buffalo pass to Walden, Co - Kings canyon- Laramie,WY then wide open slabs, riding on condition butts, back to Custer.
Dan we will probably be a few days behind you guys.

sleddog

If any of you end up near the 3 Step Hideaway, located on the TAT south of Moab. I can recommend a stay there.

http://www.3stephideaway.com/

greatbuffalo

Jerry,  send me a PM with your cell# so we can see if we can manage a meet up.

greatbuffalo

Just got a call from Brad who passed along some info from Brit Brian. There will be a Horizons Unlimited Campout on the 15th thru the 17th in Grant Colorado. This is South West of Denver on Highway 285 between Denver and Fairplay. Looks like they have several good speakers and events plans. If you register before the 8th its only 39 bucks for the weekend to camp and take in all the events. Much cheaper than the KTM event.

Just thought I'd put this out there if those that are in Colorado for one of our DDSR rides, or, for others that want to ride out for this event. This is the organization that provides resources for anyone planning overland adventures.

Here is he link:   http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/colorado-2016

Bogus Jim

Hey Gerry. The mexican restaurant in Hayden CO is pretty good. West side of town on highway 40.

gerry1eye

I'm hungry for Mexican, thanks Jim - great picture.

Has anybody in the group rode the Engineer pass in SW CO.? How would you rate it in downhill ski terms (black - need race bike with knobbies, blue- maybe should not take loaded KLR650 but empty could work, Green - made for KLR650 and even KTM's and Triumphs). Thanks