News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Thinking about a COBDR ride

Started by greatbuffalo, October 24, 2015, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Haven't ridden it, but Charles Wells rates Engineer Pass as moderate. "Most of the route is easy, but there are still a few steep, narrow places on the west side of the pass that will get your attention".

He also rates Cinnamon Pass (which is on the COBDR) as moderate.

greatbuffalo

I have looked at many videos of Engineer Pass and it looks like one 1/4 section that although not particularly difficult is quite exposed and some broken ledge. I was trying to put that pass in our route but as of yet, haven't committed.  It all depends on time constraints and the will of our little group. That is on the Alpine Loop and it is ridden by loaded BMW GS's all the time. I underdtand that a few off the zwitchbacks on Ophur and Corkscrew passes will give a rider more of a challenge.  I think the exposure is what puts most riders off.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Jim, I think we will try to leave Rapid Friday afternoon like you mentioned and try to get to Glendo Sate Park in WY, as suggested buy Brad. I am planning on riding out Thursday midday. Would it be possible to meet Thursday evening to finalize a plan and route? I will be staying at Brad's.

Bogus Jim

Sounds good, I'll send you my cell #.

Glendo might be full on a Friday night but worth a shot.

greatbuffalo

We can always find a place to Wild camp.

Bogus Jim

Greyrocks reservoir is another close option but that's likely full too. Those Wyom-ians love their weekend boating.

greatbuffalo

Damned wyominians

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Guernsey has small park by a creek and Oregon trail ruts are worth looking at.

Hank

I hope you guys have a fun and SAFE trip!  I wish I could tag along!

Bogus Jim

Here's my SPOT page if anybody wants to follow. Probably not leaving until 3-4 pm Friday.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0z738kkaOKQN1UbyM4rCXqIN4Nxnx1T8A

We met tonight and came up with an interesting route I think... sort of a figure 8, instead of straight to Four Corners and then north. Still have to cross eastern Wyoming though... blah.

sleddog

Jim
Consider using Spotwalla for trip viewing. Beside being free, it will store your trips forever, even if you change devices/plans they will be available.

Fletch

That is great Jim! I'm going to try to track you down Tuesday.. hope to see you then.

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

We made it as far as Gurnsey WY today. We made about 200 miles. So far so good.
From here we head for Wheatland, Laramie, and ultimately Walden CO and beyound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bogus Jim

This photo says it all... the trip sucked.   ;D

Lake by the campground, the last night we camped together.

I ended up with 2,300 on the odo. Awesome trip - nobody crashed, nobody injured, no gumbo mud.

greatbuffalo

I returned home yeasterday after doing just shy of 3000 miles in 9 days. Some 500 of those was gravel, offroad, two track and gnarly mountain passes.

The ride home was one of the worst trips across the state I've ever had. The wind was blowing out of the south southeast at 35 mph sustained and gusts in excess of 45. My head was being wipped around like a bobblehead doll in a baja buggy. I ended up having to take off my glasses cause the movement of my helmet was bending the frames and causing me to look through my lower bifocal.

The ride east was a small price to pay for a great trip with great company. I thunk we bagged 15 passes, 7 water crossings, 1 deep sand section, 2.7 million rocks, 13.3 billion dust particles, 1 dead roadbiker and more great memories than I could ever fit in my panniers.

We had a general plan going into this trip but each evening we would pull out the maps and plan the next day. Even after that the plan could change. The organic and everchanging plan made for some great unplanned discoveries. The best one being Lands End on Grand Mesa. An amazing view and a awesome ride down.

I'm sure those of you attending the fall rally will hear many stories from the trip. There are many but not sure if I could really put them in words here.

Thank you Jim, Brad and Mike, in no particular order, for an amazing experience. I will ride with you guys anytime.