News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Quick Sunday Minimum Maintenance Road ride

Started by greatbuffalo, November 02, 2015, 08:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

We, Nathaniel, Paul, and myself headed out of town to the Northwest in search of Min Maint roads. Left the shop around noon and found Ryani stuck doing "chores". So, after a few minutes chat with him and off to fuel up.

We left town with a general direction in mind, Northwest. I have done some riding/driving up there many times and know there are many min maint roads in that area. We rode a bit of asphalt and quickly got on gravel. Within a few sections we were treated to our MMR section that meandered through cornfield, drainages and farmer roads. This one stretch was over 5 miles long with a 1/4 gravel section in the middle. Spend more time just picking a direction a turning off  the first MMR you could find. May not sound like too much fun for you dirt bags that are lucky enough to live in the hills but for us prairie dwellers, you gotta take what your get.

We wormed our way to just North east of Plankington and headed South over the i'state and 3 or 4 miles south before turning back east on gravel. Between there and Mitchell, we found many very cool MMR sections. One was just SW of Mitchell that takes you down a few sections of rough field roads to a short but cool twisty section and then into a thick rough wooded section with rutted hills.

Doesn't sound like much but on Nov 1st and having worked all night, it was a great day to spend a part of a day. Got back to the house and made a great supper early, as I knew I would drop off to sleep in short order.

Here are links to a few pics. Can some one tell me how to post pics from Goolge Pics? I thought I'd done it before but couldn't get it to work.

https://goo.gl/photos/39o4xFcgeDb5WzmY8
https://goo.gl/photos/ExKxrYcnPRXjGxW76
https://goo.gl/photos/zcWwejCG8ivcWSBZ8
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

ryani

You guys apparently got more miles in than I did but I did get out for a bit.

Tried out my GPS my trails app on my phone and hit the tsdat for a bit. Here's my beauty shot of the trip
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Wizard

Was a great ride, wish we had tracked where we went.  But I guess that means we will need to go looking again!

greatbuffalo

Ryan, I know that place, Milltown. Love that river bottom route.

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on November 02, 2015, 11:30:32 AM
Ryan, I know that place, Milltown. Love that river bottom route.

you should have been there 30 years ago ;D ;D
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

ryani

I wish I could have been there 30 years ago! My klr600 would have been state of the art!!! Haha
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Hank

Fletch

Quote from: ryani on November 02, 2015, 12:42:36 PM
I wish I could have been there 30 years ago! My klr600 would have been state of the art!!! Haha

It was a huge party every weekend. I believe it was called the "island park ballroom" or something like that?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

First off, Hank, How did you do that?

Second, Fletch, I worked with a girl that lived in Milltown in those days. I've gone out there on the "island" butt not much to see there anymore. there was a plan to make a nice park there a few years ago but it never did get off the ground, although I haven't one been in there in the past year or so.

Hank

Use the insert image button (2 to the right of youtube) and paste the address between the IMG brackets.

BUT, the direct link you posted doesn't work.  I had to click that link, then at the google page, click the image again (so it went to full screen), then right click the image there and select "copy image location", then paste that between the IMG brackets.

greatbuffalo

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on November 02, 2015, 10:13:40 PM
I worked with a girl that lived in Milltown in those days. I've gone out there on the "island" butt not much to see there anymore.

Was that a freudian slip?   ;)

greatbuffalo

:P

I have several keys on my laptop that double strike. I don't always catch it.

Wizard

A likely excuse...:)

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk