News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

So I have a wild and crazy idea..........................

Started by greatbuffalo, December 03, 2015, 03:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

As some of you know I have made friends with some folks from India through my buddy Paul. Over dinner last night the discussion of one of my bucket list items was raised. I've always wanted to ride in the Himalaya. Not sure if anyone has seen the film "The Highest Pass" among several other films on the subject.

Well, the guy, Ravi, that was just here and several of you met, has friends in Delhi that run a motorcycle tour outfit into the Himalaya.

I have decided to pursue a plan to take a month off not this coming year but the summer of 2017. It is a big trip with lots of planning needed and some need that much time to finagle that much time off.

Not only will it be a trip to the Himalaya but also a chance to see many once in a lifetime sites such as Goa, Shimla, the Taj Mahal, among others.

Very tentative plan is to fly to Bangalore (Bangaluru). Take a train to Goa for a couple days. Return to Bangalore. Leave by train to head North to see sites along the way including the Taj Mahal. Will make our way to Delhi were we would acquire rental Royal Enfield motorcycles and head to the mountains of Shimla and on to Khardung La, the highest motorable road in the world at 18,380 feet.

My initial estimate is $2500 - $3000 for the trip and that is living like a king. Right now airfare round trip is near $700. Food and lodging and travel is CHEAP once your there.

Think about it, the trip of a life time.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

That would be an awesome trip. Danielle and I were just talking about an India trip an how diverse the country and people are. I wouldn't even know where to go. The Himalaya near the Tibetan boarder are incredible. I expect many photos!!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

sandhillrider

With you as a leader what could go wrong!
Keep me informed I would really like to go and the timing
might just work.

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Wizard

Been there 4 times cant wait to go back!  My friends in Bengaluru are  ready to ride! 

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

poleburner

I think that could be a lot of fun, might just have to plan on it!

Bogus Jim

Wikipedia says that man-eating tigers have killed over 33,000 people in India. Is this going to be a problem in the areas you plan to travel, because it could bring an abrupt end to the trip. For whomever is riding slowest.

greatbuffalo

No. Most all tiger attacks take place in the Sundarbans. An area in western India up to the Bangladesh area. We will be in the areas of Bangalore in the south central area to Eastern coast at Goa and up through the center of the country toward the North West to Delhi and Shimla.

That being said........ What a way to go. ;D

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on December 03, 2015, 10:04:34 PM
Wikipedia says that man-eating tigers have killed over 33,000 people in India. Is this going to be a problem in the areas you plan to travel, because it could bring an abrupt end to the trip. For whomever is riding slowest.

Good incentive to pick up the pace, thanks for the info Jim.

Lonesome Dave

Why do ya think I'm not going.  I can guess the headlines, A lost rogue tiger mauls the slowest motorcycle rider from America.  One of the victim's fellow riders who was riding at the front of the group, said he didn't even see a tiger, adding if his buddy would have been riding an orange & black cycle, he would have never been at the back of the pack. The tiger would have ignored him because they like those colors, Fletch also said...........
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on December 04, 2015, 03:25:21 PM
Why do ya think I'm not going.  I can guess the headlines, A lost rogue tiger mauls the slowest motorcycle rider from America.  One of the victim's fellow riders who was riding at the front of the group, said he didn't even see a tiger, adding if his buddy would have been riding an orange & black cycle, he would have never been at the back of the pack. The tiger would have ignored him because they like those colors, Fletch also said...........

well, they are a tigers favorite colors ;)  but, that may lead to a situation even worse than death :o

Wacked

BCB1080

As your attorney I'd highly recommend it.
Edit:
I'm on the right and the three keys for safe motorcycling in India:
Good Horn.
Good Brakes.
Good Luck.

greatbuffalo

Wow! Good on you. You've made me envious for the moment but fulfilling this dream will make us even in this endeavor. Just may have to pick your brain at some point. When did you make the trip?

greatbuffalo

I just found the post you posted in July on the subject. I remember seeing that now.