Back road options from Rapid to Deadwood during Sturgis Rally

Started by mack605, July 24, 2015, 12:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mack605

Guys,

I live in Deadwood and work on Deadwood Ave in Rapid City. Figure traffic during the 75th will be enough to make me go bonkers and am trying to put together a mostly gravel route home on the KLR. I want to avoid anything to knarly and keep my route as straight forward as possible. I figured I'd take Sturgis road to Piedmont and 144/8144 to Dalton lake cross Vanocker to Kelly Spur and make my way to Galena. I'm going to explore a route from there to come out in Deadwood near the rodeo grounds and avoid 385 completely. I also figured I could take sturgis rd to Bethlhem and make my way to Vanocker that way. How technical is that 8144 out of Peidmont? I'm going to check it out today I think on my way home. What do you expects have to say? Bogus Jim you have about every trail in the hills memorized don't you!;)

Thanks!
Al

Robmicgrn

8144 is easy. Some baby head boulders but easily avoidable. If it is wet, the top section of 8144 can be miserable with the mud (ask me how I know) once you get past that it is easy, and your route is doable. there is a creek crossing in Galena, but you can bypass that trail by taking CR 180 and 334. If time is an issue, stay on 144 till Nemo. Jump on Nemo west towards the 151 trails. 151 and its offshoots will drop you right back to CR 334. I always come out near the Fish and Fry camp ground this way. This is all pretty tame and fast. Lots of other options depending on your time restraints, and all will avoid the rally chaos.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

mack605

Sweet,
I've got about one year of experience under my belt on the KLR and I've battled my way through plenty of spots that were a bit above my level but I'd like to keep this route pretty stress free. I did know of the creek crossing and planned on avoiding it just as you said. I'm just worried if a million bikers show up even spots like Nemo could be a mess. I can see there are enough roads on google earth to get me into Deadwood with crossing nothing but Vanocker I just don't know how many gates or pissed off land owners will hinder this route! Worst case scenario making a right turn on 385 will be doable. The road construction in Deawood will make that way into town miserable. But I have to ask...how do you know about 8144 when it's wet? In my short time riding I've discovered I can overcome a lot but I reallt hate mud.
Al

Robmicgrn

I was up there opening weekend 2014. Tried to get to 149 via 8283, 8284 but I woosed out and turned around because of mud. I hate mud too........ Wasn't ready to go home yet, so I continued on 8144 towards Piedmont. Lots of traffic in that area and normally passable roads turned to mud bogs by 4 wheelers, side by sides and quads. I was to far in to turn around and eventually made it to piedmont, but it was less than enjoyable.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Bogus Jim

I think what Rob suggested is the fastest, 8144 from Piedmont and then 151.

If you're zipping along, watch out for deer on 151, there can be a lot of them in the evening.