News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

MLK holiday run, 19 Jan 09

Started by Crazy Uncle Larry, January 23, 2009, 01:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Uncle Larry

Had the day off; topped of the gas tank on the ole XT500. Fired her up, let her smooth out and then headed west on Sheridan Lake road. (Yeti-to answer your earlier question...I live to the southwest behind the Corner Pantry out on Sheridan Lake road.) Another shakedown cruise!!!

And yes, it was getting later in the day as you can see by the shadows. Turned in on Victoria Lake road. It was a little greasy but still rode down it a bit.

Yes, Virginia, I did figure out how to take a photo using my rearview mirror!

Headed back out to the Victoria Lake turnoff. Which way to go? Choices! Choices! Choices! It was getting late in the day, so naturally, I headed further west towards Sheridan Lake!!!

Always good to know that a fellow rider has our best interest at heart!

Pulled in at the Spring Creek trailhead for a moment. #1 Son, #2 Son and I spent some good times out here hiking, fishing, and searching for our annual Christmas tree before they both left home to make their way in the world. Been working on #1 Son trying to get him interested in ADV/DS riding. He's a 4-wheeler guy but at least he is talking about doing some trails with us on one of those and that's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!!!

Stopped by "fishing rock" on the way home. We used to take the ole pickup out on Saturdays and stop here to float a worm for the trout and perch which used to hang out at the bottom of the rock. Usually had Jerry Jeff Walker singing the "Pick-up Truck" song on the radio  to keep us company. I also saw another ADV/DS rider go by on what looked like a BMW with aluminum panniers, wasn't a F800GS, he was on me and gone by before I could identify his ride. Hey, he did wave!

Here she is again. I know you might have to look real hard to visualize her as a ADV/DS bike, but that is what I'm headed for until I can afford the XR650R set-up or Yamaha decides to bring the XT660 Tenere to the US! She's got a little over 15K on her, slowly working the bugs out. Put on some new tires, getting stuff together to change the wheel bearings, going to put new parts into the swingarm, get the cam chain and valves checked out, change the oil/clean the K&N air filter again, dial in the carb a little bit, probably put on a Trailtech Vapor computer and take off the old odometer/tach, going to re-do the turn signals and find some led tailight bulbs. Will pick up a drybag duffel and fix some pannier braces on the sides and we should be ready to go! Like I've said before...ride what you brung and with the economy like it is, I just might be doing that on the ole XT500 for some time to come. See you down the road!

"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

LittleJacket

I sure like that bike!  Great report!
rpjohnso

Crazy Uncle Larry

Thanks for the nod, LittleJacket! Kind of gets in your blood. I know I wouldn't sell it unless I have to in order to move up to the XR650R. I put the title for it in both #2 Son and my name so we can pass it along if possible. Always kind of wanted an SR500, too! Take care out there and go riding when the weather permits. Got to hit the rack for now.

P.S. Keep an eye out on Craigslist. I saw some in there in Minnesota last summer. I got this one out of Denver last July.
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto