News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Hank (Jason H.), from Watertown SD

Started by Hank, August 01, 2008, 09:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

OK, time for a name change.   Hank was my nickname from about the second grade, and still is for many of my friends.

Real name:  Jason Handke  (pronounced Hankey - "D" is silent).   So there's where the Hank comes from, eh?
Less savory nicknames from my childhood: Hankleberry, handkerchief, snot rag, kleenex.. you get the picture.

Any references to the "Mr. Hankey" from South Park will result in :chainsaw      ;)

I'm 39, a mechanical engineer (SDSU) by degree.  I'm a partner in an industrial automation company in Watertown SD.  We employ about 35 people and build all kinds of never-been-invented-before machines for companies all over the US, and even a few for overseas customers.

I grew up on a farm about 50 miles west of Watertown.   I've spent most of my life in the area, with the exception of two years when I lived in central WI.

I started riding with a Honda ATC 110 at age 13, had my first motorcycle, a Kawi KE175 by age 15.  I've owned about 30 bikes since then, many of them old 70's vintage dualsport junkers that I got for free or little when I was in highschool, most of which required a great deal of wrenching.  My favorite in this category was a KE125 that I bought from the local bike shop's bone pile for $15 when I was probably a sophomore or junior.   I put gas in it when I got it home, started it with 2 kicks, and rode the living crap out of it for 3 years.   I tried, I really tried, to blow that bike up, but couldn't.

My first street bike was a Kawi LTD 440.   I progressed to sportbikes, starting with a VFR700 in about '89.  I put nearly 40K on that bike.  My favorite streetbike was a '94 VFR750 that I bought new in '94 when I got my first real job.   It was a great, versatile streetbike.   The only other bike I bought new was a carry over 98 or 99 VTR996 Superhawk.  It was OK (fun, torquey V-twin) but never grabbed me like the VFRs did.

When my wife and I started a family, not long after we started the business, I sold my VTR and was bike-less for the better part of 6 years (owned an '85 Ninja 900 for a summer - think Top Gun!).    About the first of '07, I was REALLY missing having a bike, then I watched Long Way Round, and my interested in DS bikes was re-ignited in a big way.   I decided a KLR was the way to go, got one off ebay, drove all the way to Bismarck to get it, then spent the next few months farkling and fixing.   During that process I spent too much time on adventure rider and discovered the KTM 950 adventure.   At first I thought they were weird and really ugly.   Next thing you know, I had to have one (WTF??)  and I bought an '06 Adventure S with 1100 miles on it in late August 07.  I then sold my KLR to my bro-in-law (Crizzay) and bought a DRZ400 (another 06).  And that's where I am today!

The KTM is by far the most versatile and enjoyable bike I've owned.  A little big for anything too hairy offroad (because of my skill level rather than its capabilities), but great on easy to moderate trails and awesome on the road.  I'm sure I'll keep this one for a long time, despite its handful of quirks (waterpump / fuelpump / clutch slave cylinder etc).

I got the DRZ thinking it would be great in more technical off road situations, and it is, but I miss the versatility of the KLR.  The DRZ is just not very happy on the road, and where I live there is plenty of road involved in any trip.

In the next year I think I'll dump the DRZ and find another 5 or 10 year old KLR, and build a ground up dream thumper.    At least that's the plan for today.

I look forward to many rides, and meeting many new friends through this forum.

loingrader

um, hi.  my name is bret, and i live platte.  nice to see a familiar face here jason.

-b
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Jhaldin

Hey I'm the 3rd member.  Story of my life!  I'll get to paypal and toss a donation this way.   Looks good!

Jeff Elk Point, SD

The Yeti

I AM YETI!! HEAR ME ROAR!!!!

Forum looks great so far, Jason! Good work! Good riddance MSN!!!!

Oh yeah...I'm Alan from Rapid City.  :)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

I am Chad from Rapid. I am a gemini that likes long walks on the beach and to meet the emotional needs of those around me.

love the new site and I am actually amazed we actually have it ;D

Hank

You guys should actually like start your own threads   ???

eh well...  ;D

Hank

A proper introduction and name change  ;D

The Yeti

QuoteA proper introduction

'bout time.  ;D

Quoteand name change

Nice we can do that on this software...can't do it on ADV.

QuoteAny references to the "Mr. Hankey" from South Park will result in 

Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo
He loves me, I love you,
Therefore vicariously he loves you
Even if you're a Jew.
Sometimes he's nutty, sometimes he's corny
He can be brown or greenish brown,
But if you eat fibre on Christmas Eve
He might come to your town.
He loves me, I love you,
He looooovves you!

Sorry, you asked for it.   :D

We seem to have a few things common:

QuoteI've spent most of my life in the area

Me too, but spent my whole life in Rapid City. I'm even living in the house I grew up in!

QuoteMy first street bike was a Kawi LTD 440

No shit?! My first bike was a Kawi 440 Maxim!

Quoteowned an '85 Ninja 900 for a summer - think Top Gun!

I had one of those, too! Had it for about a year and a half, until I blew the motor!

QuoteI watched Long Way Round, and my interested in DS bikes was re-ignited in a big way

Ditto...although now I almost hate the comercialization of it, I really loved that series! I still want to ride across Mongolia (minus the support crew, of course).

QuoteI decided a KLR was the way to go

Ditto again, but I bought new.

Quotediscovered the KTM 950 adventure.   At first I thought they were weird and really ugly

Yup...same here.

QuoteThe KTM is by far the most versatile and enjoyable bike I've owned.  A little big for anything too hairy offroad (because of my skill level rather than its capabilities), but great on easy to moderate trails and awesome on the road.  I'm sure I'll keep this one for a long time, despite its handful of quirks (waterpump / fuelpump / clutch slave cylinder etc).

I luv this bike! One of the best bikes, if not the best bike, I've ever had. I fell in love with the bike all over again just today...I was just "in the zone" if you know what I mean. Can't really explain it, but every once in a while, everything just comes together, and me and the bike just seem to "flow"...y'know what I mean?

Great to meet you, Mr. Hankey!!   8)

Hank

Quote from: The Yeti on September 01, 2008, 09:54:20 PM

He loves me, I love you,
Therefore vicariously he loves you
Even if you're a Jew.
Sometimes he's nutty, sometimes he's corny
He can be brown or greenish brown,
But if you eat fibre on Christmas Eve
He might come to your town.
He loves me, I love you,
He looooovves you!

Sorry, you asked for it.   :D

Now that is just wrong! ;D

So how the hell did you blow up an old school 900 ninja??   Those things were supposed to be bullet proof!   

The Yeti

QuoteSo how the hell did you blow up an old school 900 ninja??   Those things were supposed to be bullet proof!

I think I may have neglected to check the oil for an extended period of time...not advisable.  Also, a friend of mine was riding it at the time of combustion, so I'm not sure what really happened...no rev limiter on that bike IIRC.