News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Old's cool kawi

Started by Hank, February 06, 2016, 04:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

This old girl followed me home.  It's not bad for 33 years old.  Pulled the carbs today and they weren't horrible, but they need all new orings, hopefully which can be sourced somewhere .

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

greatbuffalo

Great bike

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Congrats, it looks pretty nice.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Got some carb kits, and oil filter, air filter and a service manual coming.   Z1Enterprises is a great resource for these old kawis.   Needs tires and maybe a chain and sprockets, but I'll get it running first.

tannerc

Nice, that thing is in great condition!
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Harry Potter

Cool looking bike. I am going to have to Google kawasaki gp550.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

greatbuffalo

Thats a GPz. Don't recall what sets the GP apart from  the GPz.

Hank

Not sure there ever was a GP?   Officially this is a KZ550H2, but it's still a GPz550.   I paid $600 for it, which is probably OK for the condition.   Clean title too and only 11000 miles.

It's not in bad shape, but far from perfect.  With a little elbow grease it will be a clean looking runner, and it's original other than the V&H 4 into 1.

loingrader

Im partial to old hondas but that is still a really cool bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

That 550 motor is pretty bomb proof. Looks like it could be fun old school ride.

Hank

It's alive!

Runs like a top after many hours of carburetor fiddling.

Next item is the rear suspension.   There was a lot of slop in the lower shock mount, which I guess is real typical as it hangs down in the road spray.   The bump stop crumbled to dust in my hand when I pulled the shock out.   

greatbuffalo

Hank

I spent an hour polishing a turd today.    I doubt the old girl has seen wax in 25 years.

As Ryan says, "it's a 10!", meaning it looks good from 10 feet.   Maybe its a 15 haha.

Its got more paint flaws and corroded spots than I could count, but I still think its pretty damn cool.

biker4ever

looks a lot better than it did a couple of weeks ago, worth the effort. 8)

Hank

Thanks Lance.  How are the bones?

I think I might pull the exhaust and sand blast / bbq black it and maybe do the rashed up engine covers too.