News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Early or Late June Trans SD Adventure Trail Group Ride

Started by mitchn06, February 08, 2016, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

mitchn06

So I was honking the last weekend in May or 1st weekend in June. My wife started a new job at avera and she isn't sure of her hours yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

ryani

I bet the wife gets annoyed if you're just honking away in the house.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

mitchn06

Haha. When you go to hit the e-start and accidentally hit the horn. :(

tannerc

I will be keeping an eye on this thread, don't know if it will work out but I am all setup for this run. Will have to wait and see where the final date lands.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Harry Potter

So where would the group get together for a starting point?
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

sleddog

The latest version that Jim referenced above ends south of Scenic near Bigfoot Road. BIA 2 was on the original route but, is being paved. I need to get back out & scout another off pavement route to Custer.

For those that have ridden the TSDAT from Kennebec to Midland via the North. You might enjoy the alternate "blue" route south of the Interstate. Although, with a group it could be a pretty long day. I've ridden it twice solo, & it takes about 7 hours.

Camping is available at several places along the way. Gross, NE has a population of 2! Has a steakhouse & free camping across the street in the park. It's a fun place to stop & enjoy the atmosphere.

Consider a stay at the Stroppel Hotel in Midland.  Miss Vicki enjoys tired, dirty DS riders!

http://www.southdakotamagazine.com/a-spa-at-midland

Four of us, riding off pavement to Alaska, will be on the TSDAT in early June. Hope to see you along the way.

mitchn06

Ok. Dates. Memorial Day is Monday May 30. For myself, that is a paid day off, that means I have an automatic 3 day weekend. I would like to incorporate that into the ride be it the 27th thru the 30th or the 28th thru the 31st. Heck it may only take 3 days to complete and get back home. Thoughts on this??

ryani

Leaving  Fri the 27th would work great for me. I can take mon and Tues off too.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Robmicgrn

I would be slabbing the day before from Rapid City. I think 44 would take us all the way. I am flexible with dates.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

greatbuffalo

Sleddog, you gonna make it passed the Badlands this trip?  ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Quote from: Robmicgrn on March 16, 2016, 09:35:43 PM
I would be slabbing the day before from Rapid City. I think 44 would take us all the way. I am flexible with dates.

If I can make it this would be my plan as well.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

sandhillrider

This is starting to look like it might work for me with those dates.
Will you start at Yankton?
I have a place to camp by Gross on the river but but might be west of there at end of first day.
If it rains the part from Vedel to Gross is impassable.

mitchn06

Ok, so starting out on Friday the 27th. I'm thinking I will start out in Mitchell and ride the route from there. Or just booking lit to Yankton, depending on other riders. The first time I did it, we made it about 10 miles west of Pickstown where we picked up dinner the end of day 1 where we started in Yankton at 1pm. My guess is we will make it a bit further than that. Maybe Buryanek or Snake Creek around the big Mo and Hwy 44. I don't really know.

greatbuffalo

I would give the folks that have not done this trip the pleasure of the James River valley. I really like that area and ride it often. Slabbing to Yankton would mean missing all the Hudderite scenery. They own 90% + off the river bottom from Mitchell to Yanton.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?