News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Early or Late June Trans SD Adventure Trail Group Ride

Started by mitchn06, February 08, 2016, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

If anyone needs camping gear for the weekend let me know. I have a good lightweight tent, sleeping bags, lightweight air matresses, etc, etc. I live just around the corner from Ryan and could deliver them there. Let me know.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

kmuhlenbeck

If I'm able to do this ride, I'll be coming from work Friday afternoon in Sioux Falls. Where is the first planned stop on the route? I'd be playing catch up on paved roads Friday afternoon.
2011 DL650A

grubbie

Quote from: Robmicgrn on March 27, 2016, 07:23:56 PM
This has all the markings of the dirt version of "Wild Hogs".  ;D
Now that's funny! Who has to get the Apple tat???

Sandhill I have side racks and bags, cant remember the brands. Have a sleeping bag, looking at tents and pads. If I can go I too will be slabbing over the day before, possibly even two days before. Mom lives in Huron, always looking for a reason to give her a visit.

Harry Potter

Think light weight hikers's back packing tents, bags, and air mattress. REI has a better selection than Cabellas. Cabellas stuff is to big and bulky but they do have a good selection of dry bags. Water and protein bars even if we're eating out.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

greatbuffalo

I agree REI has the best tents for the $$. Be sure to spend the extra few bucks for a ground cloth. Even a cheap tarp will do the trick.

Bogus Jim

Cabella's has a better selection of slingshots than REI. If you don't know why you need to carry a slingshot, well then I guess you've never accidentally staked your tent in a plague-infested prairie dog town.

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Bogus Jim on March 28, 2016, 11:01:26 AM
Cabella's has a better selection of slingshots than REI. If you don't know why you need to carry a slingshot, well then I guess you've never accidentally staked your tent in a plague-infested prairie dog town.

Cabella's also has a better selection of Glocks............. Prairie dogs don't like Glocks  ::)
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

mitchn06

this trip is going to be epic. my tapatalk alerts must not be working right, i missed out on 3 days worth of BS  ;D not necessary to bring food if you dont' want to, i mostly just snack on stuff on  these types of trips anyhow. the last trip i did, i didn't poop for 3 days!! then i had stopped and had Mexican. Fixed!! As far as tents go, i tried to do a 1 man tent before, but remember, it is one man and one man's gear, better off getting a 2 or even 3 person with vestibules. as far as the tracks go, i can email them to whomever needs/wants them. just send me your e-mail or PM me or whatever. It looks like we have options for this route, the first option is the Yankton SD or NE option, the NE side is fun. never have done teh SD option. the second option we have is North of i90 or South of i90, i have done the North i90 part and it is mostly gravel roads, somewhat boring, but has its good spots (bad river Road is pretty dang fun), not sure on the souther half.
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

mitchn06

Hank

Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 28, 2016, 01:32:42 AM
I agree REI has the best tents for the $$. Be sure to spend the extra few bucks for a ground cloth. Even a cheap tarp will do the trick.

I've never done the research myself to prove this, but I've read that REI is one of the biggest contributors to causes and campaigns to close anything and everything to dirt bikes, jeeps, and quads... so if true, spend your dollars wisely!

mitchn06

Quote from: Hank on March 28, 2016, 03:34:43 PM
Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 28, 2016, 01:32:42 AM

I've never done the research myself to prove this, but I've read that REI is one of the biggest contributors to causes and campaigns to close anything and everything to dirt bikes, jeeps, and quads... so if true, spend your dollars wisely!

I too have read this.

mitchn06

I too have read this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmuhlenbeck

2011 DL650A

greatbuffalo

I have been a member of REI since like 84 and never have I seen any agressive literature in  my mailbox. I do often get mailers for protec tion of wild land but none that is even remotely aggresive. That is not to say that they don't do that out the backdoor. I think if you knew  where half of your spent dollars went you would never spend a dime anywhere. Every corporation has their causes.
I do busyness with them cause they have GREAT customer service and great products. I could do business with Cabelas which is turned into a high priced Pamida with crap customer service, and, I dont like where some of their "round up the dollar" cash goes either.

I hope it aint so but untill I see agregous aggressive campaigns I'll continue to do business with them.
I am open to read and look at anything that may change my mind, my mind is one that is always open.

mitchn06

Quote from: kmuhlenbeck on March 28, 2016, 05:08:34 PM
Where do you usually camp first night?
Hey Kyle, from Mitchell to Pickstown is roughly 210 miles and at about 30-40 mph that will probably put us close to a day with stops and breaks. So to answer your question... Right around pickstown.