News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Early or Late June Trans SD Adventure Trail Group Ride

Started by mitchn06, February 08, 2016, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchn06

Ya. You are right Dave. I don't care where, if guys want to camp at Sandhills riders spot on the river or at S scalp Rec area. Either one is fine by me. How far is your cabin from S Scalp Sandhill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

sleddog

I went out to check the progress of the washout (location N43.67362 W99.99389, also marked by an X on the tracks) on the Alternate Southern Route from Kennebec to Midland. It's still impassable. I've re-routed around it. It's too bad 'cause this is a really nice section of trail. The rancher I talked to said it would be repaired by mid summer.

You might consider doing the northern portion. It's 105 miles vs the southern routes 192 miles.

Due to BIA 2 being paved along with other issues, I re-routed the far western portion, from Scenic to Custer. I verified the route by riding it this weekend. It has a little more pavement than I'd like.

I'm attaching the updated tracks.

tannerc

Quote from: sleddog on May 16, 2016, 04:44:51 PM
I went out to check the progress of the washout (location N43.67362 W99.99389, also marked by an X on the tracks) on the Alternate Southern Route from Kennebec to Midland. It's still impassable. I've re-routed around it. It's too bad 'cause this is a really nice section of trail. The rancher I talked to said it would be repaired by mid summer.

You might consider doing the northern portion. It's 105 miles vs the southern routes 192 miles.

Due to BIA 2 being paved along with other issues, I re-routed the far western portion, from Scenic to Custer. I verified the route by riding it this weekend. It has a little more pavement than I'd like.

I'm attaching the updated tracks.

Awesome Jack, I appreciate the work you put into the TSDAT!

I'm on the probably not going to make it list too. I have way too many irons in the fire right now and its only like 10 days away.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

sandhillrider

The cabin is 5 miles north east of Gross on a dead end road in our pasture. Its 5 miles down river from the dam just in Nebraska. I would guess 20 miles from south Scalp.
You have to go back through Gross to go North or west.
If we have others coming in late one of the public campgrounds would be easier for them to find.
The road is gravel all the way in but it would be fun to watch you guys ride the big bikes out if it rained.
If we need a absolute pick wet or dry you might want to use a public place.
Mitchin06 pm me and I can call you if you want more details.

mitchn06

After talking with some of the other riders, I think camp for the first night will be at S. Scalp creek recreation area. It is primitive and we can supply up/gas up in pickstown before heading to camp.

kmuhlenbeck

Good deal. It's nice to know where we'll be. I'm going to try to hit the trail in Yankton after work. I'll leave SF around 3. Anyone know about how long it takes to get from Yankton to S Scalp on the trail? I've done the bit from Mitchell to Yankton, but don't want miss out on the dirt I haven't seen yet. Is that too ambitious? Will I be okay on my own?
2011 DL650A

Bogus Jim

Quote from: kmuhlenbeck on May 17, 2016, 08:01:36 PM
Anyone know about how long it takes to get from Yankton to S Scalp on the trail?

I found my tracks from a few years ago... it was 148 miles from Yankton to S Scalp, it took me 5 hours including a 26 minute stop in Pickstown for gas and snacks, and a stop in Devil's Nest for site seeing. It was muddy when I rode it, so you can probably average a little better.

kmuhlenbeck

Here's what google has to say... I have no idea what average speed they are using. Sunset is 8:58 - I assume I'll be in Yankton a little before 5. I may have to hit more paved than I'd like.

2011 DL650A

mitchn06

So tack on another 50 miles since we are starting in Mitchell, add 2 more hours to that and there is a full day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kmuhlenbeck

It's going to be a great weekend! I promise I'm just along for the ride once I catch up!
2011 DL650A

KLC63

Anyone else committed to going from the western side of the state besides me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

mitchn06

From what is forecasted as of now for Pickstown area, we might run into some rain, this is not a deal breaker for me as the rest of the weekend looks fairly promising. With that said, if you are committed, bring some rain gear. Also, we are in SoDak, so weather may change for the better or worse in an instant. As of now I do not have any type of back-up plan. I am certainly open to suggestions and am really hoping it's just a quick morning shower and moves out.

KLC63

Anyone else committed to going from the western side of the state?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

ryani

If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

ryani

South Central SD got around 4 inches last night.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough