News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

"LD's Rust Buster" Penetrating Oil

Started by Lonesome Dave, February 21, 2016, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

As many of you know, a 1929 McCormick Deering 15-30 followed me home a couple weeks ago.
http://www.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=2004.0
It's basically 6000 lbs of rust.  It's going to be yard art, but I want to break the engine free.  I've been asking around and internet searching and found a couple of videos you guys might like.  If Hank has never heard of this, he'll love it.  If he has, why didn't he post it?

Disclaimer; I didn't come up with this homemade brew, but the name of it I did, at least around here!

Its a mix of 50/50 ATF fluid (automatic tranny fluid) and Acetone.  That's it.  Pretty cheap compared to the store bought.
How does it work?  I haven't tried it yet!  Actually I'm putting it into the head on top of each piston through the spark plug hole and letting it soak for awhile.  However, I've got a couple of videos here that look pretty interesting.

Machinist's Workshop magazine back in 2007 did a pretty impressive test.  They tested penetrating oils and measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices.  The rust was "scientifically" created for the test.  (whatever that means)

Penetrating oil   /    Average load     /  Price per-fluid ounce
None               /     516 pounds     /
WD-40           /     238  pounds     / $0.25
PB Blaster      /      214  pounds    /  $0.35
Liquid Wrench /     127  pounds    /  $0.21
Kano Kroil       /    106  pounds     /  $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix/   53  pounds     /  $0.10

Note; when you mix these together, they will separate (like water and oil).  You have shake it up to emulsify upon each use.
And, acetone evaporates quickly.  After asking my chemist son about this, he said the acetone is probably there to lower the viscosity of the ATF and its and excellent cleaner to help carry the ATF further into rusty areas.  Once there it will evaporate eventually, leaving the oil behind.

Don't put acetone in a plastic container it will eat through most of them.  If you mix up a batch, it needs to be sealed tightly to stop the evaporation 

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

There is some commercial stuff that works great, found out about it from our Deuco mechanic, Zep 45 (?).  Everyone who has tried it swears it's the best ever.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Acetone works great for cleaning super glue off your fingers too.

It's not nearly as toxic as some people claim it is, but will definitely do a number on plastics and most paint. I sometimes use it as thinner for woodworking stuff.

Harry Potter

This means I actually learned something new over the weekend.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Hank

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on February 21, 2016, 09:46:41 AM...

If Hank has never heard of this, he'll love it.  If he has, why didn't he post it?

Actually I have.. my inlaws who run a diesel repair shop mentioned it.    I didn't post it because I've never had anything with rust on it.

Dr Psyko

Used to use Acetone and Kerosene in tire prep for Karting (only mildly illegal). Sure would do a job in softening rubber!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.