News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

1190 Adventure Thread

Started by Hank, April 10, 2016, 08:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

These seem to be gaining popularity around here :) 

I'm hoping to do the TSDAT ride and there are a couple things I want to address before then.

The airbox is probably the biggest and most widely discussed flaw on these bikes - they can leak and it can toast motors.   
The three fixes I've seen are the Uni filter kit, the powercell in the airbox pod filters, and the Rotweiler intake.   I've also read that for 2015 a stiffening rib was added somewhere to the airbox and the problem is better, but not entirely fixed.

I'm going to purchase a Powercell setup shortly.

Skid plates are expensive !!! for this bike.     I got a pretty good deal on a Altrider one.  Amazon had them listed for $407, but they showed one "used" one for $258.  I clicked on it and it said "in packaging, but packaging damaged" and it was shipped by an Amazon fulfillment center.  So I figured it wasn't really used, but just had damaged packaging.  Sure enough, it's brand new.   

Next up is tires... Not sure where to go with this.   I'm thinking something like a 908 in the front and maybe a big block something in the back, not a true knobby because I don't think a knobby has a prayer on the back of this bike.  Fletch, anyone?   Any thoughts?

Fletch

I went with the uni just because it was all that was available at the time. I like the powercell, but what happens to the crankcase vent? I do quite a big of highway so I liked the K60's but think I might try the E-07's?  I went with the big dog skid plate because I liked it on the 990, but didn't look at many others so?
We should probably discuss this over a beer sometime?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Robmicgrn

My 1190 came stock with TK-80's front and back. It does not feel like knobbies going down the road. First impression was that it is very streetable. Minimal time on dirt/gravel, but it seemed like the tires were able to take the power to the dirt, even with the high pressure they run at. Also, as hard as I pushed it, minimal wear (200 plus miles). I tried and tried to get the newness to wear off and couldn't. So far so good, but, time will tell.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

Mine came with continental trail attack 2's.  Had a flat the first two times I took it off road so I got rid of them.  Maybe I'll try the TK's

Hank

I think I'm going to go with a TKC70 in the rear and a TKC80 in the front.      Have read pretty good things about that combo, and I liked the Scorpion rear TKC80 front combo on my 950.

Robmicgrn

Chickenhauler had Karoos on his 690 and said they absolutely sucked....................... The 690 is a tire eater too.

Hank

I went ahead with the Uni setup for the air filter too.  I like the powercell, but can't see enough advantage to justify $300 vs $80.

KLC63

They look great. I am going to try the new Anakee Wild on my 1200GS once I wear out the tkc 80s. Your planning on the trans SD ride, right ?
THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Hank

Yeah thats my plan.  I'm not 100% sure it will work out yet.

Sent from my TRS-80

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Hank on April 15, 2016, 07:12:18 PM
I'm going to try the Motoz Tractionator Adventures.   With a name like that, they have to be good.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/61715/Motoz-Tractionator-Adventure-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire?term=motoz

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/61714/Motoz-Tractionator-Adventure-Front-Motorcycle-Tire?term=motoz

That looks like a good tire........ I think it is fairly new. Interested to hear your review when you get going on them.

Hank

My  local Suzuki dealer said he can become a dealer if he orders 4.. so does anyone want a pair?    I think we'll get a 5% discount of those RMATV prices.

greatbuffalo

Was just looking at reviews on the Anakee Wild today. Sounds interesting I may look into those for the KLR (can I say KLR on this thread?)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Last I checked the anakee wild does not come in 21".  I think I'm going to try Mira's e-07's?
Anyone had experience with them?

greatbuffalo

No 21. Thats a bummer.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?