News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Doo tools

Started by fringefan, August 04, 2008, 01:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fringefan

Does anyone have the tools for the Doo? I am going to have to do this eventually and thought it would be a nice help if one of you had the tools and know how to give me a hand when I am ready.

Hank

I have them.  Bret plans to borrow them sometime, and you certainly can as well.   Too bad we can't all get together for a tech day.

loingrader

a doo tech day would be great.  too bad there are 400+ miles between you two.  if there was ever a tech day planned i would certianly try to be there.  would like to do valves sometime too. 

i'm pretty comfortable doing them myself, but the camradarie of fellow klr lovers, mixed with the scent of motor oil and lite beer would be quite special.

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

My wife is a big fan of aromatherapy ;D

I am game for meeting up some place to do the doo. I was planning to do it around 6k and that is fast approaching. I will bring the hammer and some JB Weld.

Looks like it comes in a kit or you can buy just the doo, any suggetions?

loingrader

make sure you bring your BIG hammer.  i hear those new doo's can be hard to get on the shaft.  i bought a balancer lever, springs, and rotor bolt, as well as the 2 gaskets.  i got mine from eagle mike.

the gaskets are probably not an issue on your bike since it is newer.  mine is 16 years old, so i picked them up for peace of mind.  they usually say that if 1 guy has the gaskets at a tech day, it is usually enough, as many bikes will be able to utilize the original gaskets.

-bret

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I think gaskets are a good plan.  I'm pretty sure I shredded my '00s gaskets when I did mine.    It would really suck to tear it apart, wreck your gasket, and be stuck for a week waiting for a replacement.

As far as hammers are concerned, I'd get a 16 pound sledge.   You can never have a big enough hammer.

fringefan

Nothing more effective for daily repairs than a solid framing hammer. I prefer the eastwing because of the grip they utilize on that sucker really helps bust things loose.

Jared

I need to do the doo too, and I'm at 11.5k!! :o :o

Although Sioux Falls is a bit farther than Denver so I may just have to make one of their tech days instead.

fringefan

Not sure if it is possible to do the Doo when we ride in Sept?

Jud

Probably too far for those of you on the west side of the state, but if you live on the east end, it might be worth your while to come to the Twin Cities tech day we hold at Paul Streeter's house in April. Sioux falls to the Cities is about 250 miles. The state line is only a little over 200 miles from St. Paul on 14 and 169 up to the Cities.

Also, I believe Jeff Saline in Rapid City may have the tools. Ping him on the DSN_KLR650 list where he is most active. He is quite knowledgeable on the subject of KLR mechanicals.

Jared

Hmmm, well let's get Jeff over here on this forum too! :D

fringefan

Jeff and I have emailed each other a few times but I have not spoken to him for some time. I will shoot him and email now and see if he is interested. He had mentioned that he would be willing to host a tech day at his place.

fringefan

Contacted Jeff and he is open to it. Below is part of the email from Jeff.

Quote:
What are you thinking about for a date in Sept?  Right now my calendar is pretty open.  If the guys that want to work on their bikes want to do it the day before the rally that could maybe work.  I'd be thinking something like start in the morning, maybe 8 am and work until everyone is done but not later than 4 pm.

Bikes that are going to be worked on should arrive relatively clean.  I have a pressure washer for cleaning bikes but I'd rather not use it as a cleaning station for a dozen bikes unless all are getting worked on.

If it's only a few doos that should only take about 3 hours if they have to be taught how to wrench.  If a few guys have some experience then it could go faster.  I would like to know what work folks want to do before they get here.  I've found I need to be in charge of saying yes or no to a job based on time, experience, complexity of the job etc.  A guy shouldn't plan on arriving 2 hours before the shop is closing and expect to do a doohickey and tire change.

Folks should plan on bringing their own parts (doohickeys, filters, valve shims) and expendables (grease, oil, etc).  I can supply stuff like rags/paper towels, loctite for one or two bolts but not an entire bike etc., but would sure appreciate a donation to the shop to help cover the cost of using it.  I can get rid of tires for $2 each if folks want to do tire changes.  If they don't want to give me the $2 they can always haul the tires off themselves and get rid of them.  I had to get rid of 11 tires two weeks ago and only two were from me.

If there is an interest folks could bring stuff to put on the barbecue and that could cover lunch.  I don't like alcohol mixed with shop time so probably best there is no beer etc involved.  I can also provide a cooler with ice so folks can keep their soda/drinks cold.
End Quote

Basically he is game if we set up a time and we need to bring supplies and be respectful of his shop. I don't think any of that is a problem if you guys are up to it. He is on a few boards and from what I know is the local expert and has done lots of these.

What r your thoughts

Jared

Dude that is awesome!  I will order my doo kit from Eagle Mike asap!

What do you think about a valve job?  Would it be worth it to split a kit and hope we all need different ones?  I don't know really anything about it except that it's good to do, and I didn't really want to have dozens of shims that I don't need.

fringefan

Not sure I will call Jeff and ask. I need to order my Doo kit as well. Make sure to get the spring tensioner so it never has to be messed with. Passing that along from Jeff.

He said we could do it almost anytime.