News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Rear Axle nut - Cotter pin vs hitch pin

Started by brockmub, May 16, 2016, 08:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brockmub

Here's a question I'd like your feedback on.  What do you use on your rear axle nut? Cotter pin or Hitch pin.  (In case I'm using the wrong terms I'll include pictures.)

Cotter Pin

vs

Hitch Pin

Lonesome Dave

Cotter pin.  The reason you use a pin of any sort is for safety.  The hitch pin can come out just by hitting a rock or a get off.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

Bingo.  Dave nailed it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

nothing, just run it how it came from the factory, worked fine on :
XL250
XL600
XR600
CR500
and 4 KTM300's

not to mention every streetbike I've ever had. But, if I was going to use something it would be a cotter pin. IMO the rear axle nut is the least of my worries as far as things loosening up. I once forgot to tighten it after adjusting the chain on my CBR. I made it to the top of iron Mt. road from Rapid before it loosened enough for me to feel something was wrong. the nut was still there, tightened it up and continued on. Now, the oil cap on a 2000 KTM 300 is another story ;)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

You honestly, I've always put a cotter pin in because there was one there.  On some of my bikes, it doesn't have a hole pin.  I torque it to whatever they say and forget it.  Never failed.  However, I once forgot to tightened the pinch bolts on the front forks.  When the fork tubes were sticking out of the triple I started looking.
Opps.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Lol. I've done that o e too Dave.  Good thing I didn't try to make a living as a mechanic
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

I've missed fork pinch bolts too.  If three of us have done it it must be a design flaw.

Sent from my TRS-80

greatbuffalo

I agree. I've done it too.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !