News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Making panniers for the TTR (now a rear rack)

Started by brockmub, April 26, 2016, 10:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Rounding off the corners really transforms it and won't hurt so bad if it lands on you.
Nice work.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

brockmub

As per usual the pictures look way better than it actually is.  There are already some things I would do differently (as with most projects). The right side is way too close to the plastics.  I'd probably use a size smaller tubing and also wrap the tubing around the back.

I work at a career and technical high school in SF so I'm cashing in one of the favors the welding department owes me.  So I can't start making everyone on the forum their own custom rear racks.  Hopefully it gets finished up today, with cleaning up all the edges, then I'll degrease all the metal and figure out what to spray it with.  Are there any suggestions on what type of paint would work best with something like this?  I'll probably go with black in color.

Lonesome Dave

Going with automotive paint usually is best, but a rack gets scratched up anyway, I'd just rattle-can it.  Does your school have an auto body shop?

Also Rhino lining works really well.  I had a cycle racks rhino lined and it never scratched.  But that puts the costs up again 40 to 50 bucks.
You could try the rhino stuff you can buy in a can and put on yourself.  That rhino goop hides a lot of mistakes.

Sure looks good.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

ryani

If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Hank

I'd get it powder coated.   Its usually pretty cheap, will look nice, and will be 10x as durable as any paint.

I'd guess there is a powder coater within driving range.   Watertown has 2 big powder coaters, with one being right across the street from me right now.   We used to do liquid painting on all of our equipment but gave up that nasty habit for powder coating.   

greatbuffalo

I know there is a powder coater in Tea that has a pretty good rep.

brockmub

Right now powder coating doesn't seem like the way I want to go. Maybe on my next project I'll have it done. It is primed though.

greatbuffalo

👍 lookin good.

brockmub

Mounted the rack last night and did some preliminary checks.

Here's a couple of things I've learned, some of this is common sense but I lack in that department sometimes.

1. Don't assume that people know what you want without explicitly saying so. - As you can see from the picture of the rack in primer, the bottom attachment points mount horizontally instead of vertically.  The attachment points now have some clearance issues when mounting the rack.  Speaking of clearance issues....

2. Make sure to give yourself enough clearance for your bodywork. - There is a little bit of rubbing on the right side. What started out as about 1/4" of space, disappeared later as the rack too the rest of it's shape.  I would say that at least a 1/2" of space between a rack and body panels should be the minimum.

3. Get the ideas of the rack shape and locations on the bike, but remove it from the bike to do the welding. - There is one spot that a piece of slag melted the rear fender, thankfully it is covered up by my seat.

4. Test fit, test fit, test fit - Tack weld something then test fit again. Cut something, then test fit again.  Always test your work and then prepared to do it all over again.

5. Don't hesitate to do things over - There were several designs of the rear rack that we just threw in the bin.  That was really good.  Then we got impatient and started saying, "Meh, that's good enough."  I regret that.

6. Use connection/mounting hardware that is similar to what your bike uses - The TTR uses a lot of 10mm and 12mm nuts.  This rack uses 15mm for the bottom mounts and I think 11mm for the RotoPax mount.  Now it requires extra tools to remove the rack than what would normally be carried on the bike.

It's been a fun little project, I'd definitely do things differently if I had to do it all over again.  I've learned a lot and plan on doing other things like this again in the future.

ryani

That rack turned out great! Looks like you could start a small production run of those.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

greatbuffalo

Hank

Yep very nice.  Doesn't look homemade, which is generally a good thing.

Sent from my TRS-80