News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Making panniers for the TTR (now a rear rack)

Started by brockmub, April 26, 2016, 10:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Here's the advrider link where I saw those pics.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ttr250-suitability-maximum-load.638827/

Yes, I think the quick link is on backwards.  ;)

sandhillrider

From Bogus's pictures you can see just how different the overseas subframe is,much heavier.
Look close at the mounting point behind the seat I think I felt that was the weak point with the cycle rack.  If you just keep the weight on the rack down you will be fine.

NDirt Rider

How about green Chile adventure gear it's made for dirt bikes without racks

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: NDirt Rider on April 27, 2016, 07:38:17 PM
How about green Chile adventure gear it's made for dirt bikes without racks

Those are kinda slick.

I always liked the "Cyclerack" on the T-dub because they were wide.  When the bike fell the rack helped protect it more.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

NDirt Rider

I know and if you have dry bags you are waterproof too and the way they work your exhaust heat shouldn't be a problem

brockmub

I'm starting to sketch up my CycleRack knock off and analyzing the contact points on the bike.  The lower points should be fine but was unsure how to connect behind/under the seat.  As everyone stated earlier, the TTR overseas must have a much more robust subframe.  There are only four contact points - 2 hold the rear fender on  - 2 hold the seat on.  To make removal of the seat easier, I replaced the 10 mm bolts with these.  The 10mm bolts will then be moved down to the right side as mentioned earlier.

I think this would be a good place to also attach the rear rack so that I don't have to drop the fender if I need/want to take the rack off.

Any problems with that line of thinking?  Either way the seat would have to come off, this would save me a step.

brockmub

Threw a little bit of plate on the back of the bike yesterday to see how it looks.  The RotoPax will sit in the middle and a dry bag on top of that.  It seems really wide but it's smaller than other racks.  Used a little bit of conduit to figure out what the bends are going to be for the bottom supports.  Then the conduit will get transferred to 1" pipe.  All the guys in the shop have is 1" pipe so I'm a bit concerned the pipe is going to be too big.  The edges and corners will all get rounded off, I don't want to get sliced up when throwing my leg over the bike.

Any thoughts?

greatbuffalo

I think I would round those corners. Otherwise looks good.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

brockmub

grubbie

brockmub

Drops to the frame...  The first pic looks like it's really wavy but it's just how it kicks out to the width of the top plate.

Any thoughts?

ryani

Wow! That's looking really nice!
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Lonesome Dave

I think Brockmub is my new best friend.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

That rack is looking good!  Do you have a laser table in your shop?

Sent from my TRS-80

ryani

Beats the crap out of my round bar special. That thing looks factory!
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough