News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

TTR Dual Sport Tires

Started by brockmub, May 02, 2016, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brockmub

While I'm getting the rear rack designed and welded up, I've turned my attention to the other parts of the bike.  Since it's not a KLR, I won't be putting the ammo cans on or a milk crate.  Most likely the rack will be a flat surface for spare fuel and a dry bag.  We won't need to bring a ton of stuff with us.  The type of riding that we were initially planning may have been way too aggressive to warrant bringing the kitchen sink... speaking of aggressive, the back tire of this TTR is way too knobby.  It's a Dunlop D752 110/100-18 and I'm trying to get it off the rim so I can swap out the tube.  Being a complete noob, or boob, I'm unable to get the tire off the rim with the tiny spoons I picked up.

Should I have someone else swap out the tube and while I'm at it, look for a little more road oriented tire?  One that doesn't hum like a swarm of bees behind me or chunk off on the pavement... or one that doesn't say Motocross Only for that matter?

sleddog

My favorite tire on the WR is a D-606 rear & MT-21 front....both are knobbies.

I can show/teach you how to get the tire off to change the tube.....

Looks like you're you planning on changing the chain too? I've got tools for that too.

Bogus Jim

Kenda 270 is fairly popular around here for dual sport, and the price is right. If you're doing a lot of rocks a 606 rear might be better than the 270 though.

tannerc

I went with a Michelin T63 rear and a MT21 front for long range on the XR650R, the combo seems to work really welll. I tried to beat the crap out of the T63 on a couple hundred mile run of some of the DAKAL and it handled it well, still looks like new and the XR is known to punish tires.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Hello, brockmub try getting on youtube there is a lot of videos on this subject . Some are good some not so good watch some of these and you will have more fun changing tires. I carry 2 small tire irons when riding but have a third bigger one at home  for home changes. My last rear tire change went well when putting the new tire on I did not have to use soapy water baby powder worked great .

Bogus Jim

Watch the youtube video on changing tires with zip ties. I tried it once, it works! I'd rather use irons but it's always good to have another technique in your bag of tricks.

grubbie

Quote from: tannerc on May 03, 2016, 10:38:29 AM
I went with a Michelin T63 rear and a MT21 front for long range on the XR650R, the combo seems to work really welll. I tried to beat the crap out of the T63 on a couple hundred mile run of some of the DAKAL and it handled it well, still looks like new and the XR is known to punish tires.
Tried the T63 front and rear on my WRR. Didn't like the front at all, loved the rear. But I had a different experience, the rear wore out quickly on me, and I am not an aggressive rider. I was sold after riding the hills with the 270 front and rear last year for the 250, will continue to use them on that bike. Bought a set for the DR650, we'll see on that one.

Hank

Also, if you're going to change a few, this is a great tool!:

http://www.amazon.com/BAJA-NO-PINCH-1001-Motorcycle/dp/B00J41H2DO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Lance had his along and we used it to mount a rear tire on Paul's bike. 

No more pinch tube worries and it eliminates a whole lot of cuss words. I ordered one the day I got home.
Video of it in action:

greatbuffalo

Thats slick

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

I might even be able to manage that. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

ZIGGY

I also have the Baja no pinch tool. Works great and makes it way easier to get that stiff sidewall tire back on the rim. No chance of a pinch flat or rim damage. They're a bit spendy, but well worth it IMO. The shaft sizes included do not work on all hubs, but I've managed by wrapping it with electrical tape and or by adding a homemade 'sleeve'.

sandhillrider

Have been looking for better tire tools for a while.
Ordered one this morning free shipping right now
Thanks for the the info.

Bogus Jim

My brother carries the Baja no-pinch, as well as a bead-breaker, 3 tire irons, and electric pump. He's a heavy packer.  ;D

Overkill for a dirt bike but perhaps reasonable for his GS 800... most of the big bikes have a safety bead rim and it's a bear to break the bead on those rims.

brockmub

Thanks for all the advice, since I'm new here I've been soaking it all up as best I can. Trying really hard to not go off the deep end, get all the tools, a brand new DS bike and a new set of Klim gear. Want to follow the wise advice, learn, practice, and be helpful to other riders.  So I diligently watched a ton more videos about changing the tire spent a lot of time making sure I was doing it right, then attempted again. No luck. It honestly felt as though I was going to break my little spoons or rip up the tire. So instead of purchasing bigger/better spoons, I took the tire in to the shop I drive by everyday on the way to work.  Call me a quitter.  I'll get it, just haven't yet.

Next question about the tire setup is what pressures do you suggest running the tires for pavement vs gravel vs dirt? The shop set the pressure to 25 but that felt too high and squirrelly on the gravel. 15 is what the manual says, which is where I'm at now.

Hank

Tire changing is easy if you're wearing a Klim jacket.