after market gas tank for my xr650r on the low like 4.6 gal. used ok.

Started by Angel, May 05, 2016, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

looking for a used gas tank red in color for my xr650r. Something like 4.3 or 4.6 gal. what does anybody recommend for a tank. I was also thinking of going to a bmw f650gs dakar. Thoughts on that?

Lonesome Dave

Welcome Angle.  Go over to the member introductions and tell us a little about yourself.

I've always been told the XR is more capable off road than the GS.  Don't know the weight difference, GS heavier I'm sure.

And, if your looking for a used gas tank, that probably means your kinda cheap, just like the rest of us.  The words "cheap" and "BMW/GS" cannot be used in the same sentence, its an oxymoron, so I'll leave the period off this
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Angel

Thanks for the info Lonesome Dave and yes I am cheap but might have to bite the bullet on tank.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on May 06, 2016, 07:44:20 AM
The words "cheap" and "BMW/GS" cannot be used in the same sentence, its an oxymoron, so I'll leave the period off this

I'm too cheap to buy a BMW/GS. There, I used both in a sentence.  ;)

Actually I could maybe live with the purchase price but it is the $6,000 clutch replacements that scare me.

Lonesome Dave

Actually I could maybe live with the purchase price but it is the $6,000 clutch replacements that scare me.
[/quote]

That's funny!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Not sure if you are familier with advrider.com but that would be the best place to get the info your looking for. You could also try thumpertalk.com.
As for BMW, im in the same boat as the other guys. I just can't justify the expense of keeping them running. The 1200 gs is by many the best big DS bike out there, why can't they make a final drive that holds together? For the money you spend to buy one they should last forever without fail and give you milk for your cereal.
They are nice to ride but not worth me mortgaging the house to keep them running.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Man, pile on the BMW brand again? You will find this group likes anything but BMW's. I take the abuse because they are such great folks to hang out with.....

I have not had any issues with my R1100GS that weren't self inflicted and any other brand would have had. I also have put a little over 40,000 on it, and I feel I flog mine. I like to TRY and ride like they do in the movies.  I have had two 650gs. Neither ever gave me trouble and I sold the second to my  father in law. I can not tell you how much abuse they will take as they saw little hard ridding. The mileage if you want to do any long trips is incredible and they are very comfy for their size. Would be less buzzy than the XR.

I rode an XR and felt it was "cluncky", but Honda is really bullet proof. If you travel, the dealer network is way better than BMW, and cheaper.

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

KLC63

2013 and up R1200GS has the oil bath clutch rite behind the front engine cover. It should be easy to do your self. I don't know what the parts cost would be, but I can't imagine it would be to bad.
THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Bogus Jim

$6k for a clutch is undoubtedly not typical... I heard the story 2nd hand (from LD), a rider burnt up the clutch and damaged the engine cases somehow. You can imagine what BMW dealer labor would be to pull the engine and replace the cases.

I don't take the brand loyalty thing too seriously, let's face it, all bike brands have issues of some sort. Some are better/worse than others but you could argue subjectively all day about that.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: jacin theis on May 07, 2016, 08:02:50 AM
Man, pile on the BMW brand again? You will find this group likes anything but BMW's. I take the abuse because they are such great folks to hang out with.....

I also have put a little over 40,000 on it, and I feel I flog mine.

Actually we let you ride with us because your such a great guy, and fun to watch.  Like; I've never seen a 600 lb bike at the top or Castle Peak and then he complained because he tipped it over at the top trying to park it.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 07, 2016, 09:52:44 AM
$6k for a clutch is undoubtedly not typical... I heard the story 2nd hand (from LD), a rider burnt up the clutch and damaged the engine cases somehow. You can imagine what BMW dealer labor would be to pull the engine and replace the cases.

That story came from Wild Irishman.  Three years ago he got stuck in a canyon with his 650gs and finally had to walk out.  Bike was rescued the next day by a jeep club (I think).  He said it cost him 6k to fix it all.  But he was back last summer at the rally riding and flogging it again!  I just remember a mud hole!
I hope poor Chris is still reading all of this, he'll laugh and probably do it again this year.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

mitchn06

I found one for my (now soldxr650r) on advrider or eBay, I can't remember. It was a 4.3. Think I paid $70, could throw a rotopax on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

greatbuffalo

There is an a 6 + gallon ecerbis XRR tank on advrider right now. I think 220 bucks

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Ridindirty

I use those roto pax on my 1975 dt 400 for gravel road rides. They are very rugged, but expensive. I like them because everyone looks out for the guy with extra gas on the trail. Haha
Mike Grosz