News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Rear sprocket abnormal wear?????

Started by Robmicgrn, May 12, 2016, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmicgrn

Looking for input from all the experts. Does this look normal? The teeth look bent. KTM 530 hauling my fat ass around. This set is not that old, probably less than 1500 miles. Renthal sprocket, not sure of the chain. It wasn't like that before MOAB, or I would have changed it beforehand.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Hank

Looks like its toast to me!    I just put one of the KTM branded Supersprox on my 400 this spring.  They have steel teeth on an aluminum carrier, so kinda the best of both worlds.  A bit pricey but I think they last.

Fletch

Hmm? definitely strange? Were both the sprockets and chain new at the same time? what does the front look like?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Fletch on May 12, 2016, 04:03:37 PM
Hmm? definitely strange? Were both the sprockets and chain new at the same time? what does the front look like?

Everything was new at the same time. Front looks new still. No noticeable wear.

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Hank on May 12, 2016, 03:55:30 PM
Looks like its toast to me!    I just put one of the KTM branded Supersprox on my 400 this spring.  They have steel teeth on an aluminum carrier, so kinda the best of both worlds.  A bit pricey but I think they last.

Thanks for the links. Time to go shopping....................... After reading about sprockets for the last 45 min, I think steel is the way to go. Regardless, the Renthall AL should have lasted longer.

More fan parts  ;)  !

KLC63

Is that the top or the bottom of the sprocket?
THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Robmicgrn

Bogus Jim

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 12, 2016, 08:13:58 PM
Dirt Tricks is highly recommended... by Neduro and others.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/supersprox-vs-dirt-tricks-ironman-sprocket-weight.893320/

I was going to recommend the same one.  I've heard good things about them. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

To me it looks like misalignment of the tire/axle.  Tire was crooked.  I use a transfer punch in the center of the axle and one in the center of the swing arm and measure both sides to make sure they're equal.  You have a set of transfer punches in the shop.   Top of right side tool box.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Fletch

I've never had trouble with AL sprockets, they typically last as long as by as the front   
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

tannerc

I will give a big recommendation to the Iron man dirt tricks, those things are tough. On the down side they are expensive and will outlast an expensive chain. Another school of thought I have heard is cheaper sprockets and chain and change them out regularly (dirt bikes).
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

KLC63

It kooks to me like the chain was to loose and trying to crawl over the soft aluminum teeth. But I am no expert. I say loose because the ware is above the bottom of the saddle between the teeth on the sprocket.
THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.