Illegal mountain bike trails

Started by Bogus Jim, April 19, 2016, 10:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Apparently there's too many mountain bike trails in the national forest.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/opinion/columnists/local/frank-carroll/carroll-experts-to-tackle-mountain-bike-dispute/article_93ce2ec6-91f1-5f09-af15-10c7b1082db6.html

The legal battles over trail closures in Colorado, etc. will be here within 5-7 years.

BCB1080

I agree with one of the comments on that article... something like " by the end of this I'm pretty sure the forest service will succeed in closing more public land" ...  >:(

Fletch

we tried to get eh mountain bikers to join in our fight with the trail system years ago. They wanted nothing to do with us, we tried to explain the change from "motorized vehicle" to "wheeled vehicles" was minor, yet the chose to keep us off "their trails".. Karma is a bitch.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

I also like how the mountain bikers can ride on the motorized single track, but dirt bikes can't ride on the mountain bike trails.

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Fletch on April 20, 2016, 12:27:34 PM
we tried to get eh mountain bikers to join in our fight with the trail system years ago. They wanted nothing to do with us, we tried to explain the change from "motorized vehicle" to "wheeled vehicles" was minor, yet the chose to keep us off "their trails".. Karma is a bitch.

That is funny ............
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Dr Psyko

I ride mountain bikes, and here in the Twin Cities area the Minnesota off-road cyclists (MORC) has a deal with several of the public Park areas, where we build and maintain the trails for free, in exchange for use.  Interesting to watch this work.  Since the cyclists build and maintain the trails, they have become junior Nazis around policing these trails, protecting them when they might be wet, maintaining blog and websites to inform riders of the trail conditions.  Seriously, it's been a major win-win here.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Fletch

Quote from: Dr Psyko on April 29, 2016, 03:49:57 PM
I ride mountain bikes, and here in the Twin Cities area the Minnesota off-road cyclists (MORC) has a deal with several of the public Park areas, where we build and maintain the trails for free, in exchange for use.  Interesting to watch this work.  Since the cyclists build and maintain the trails, they have become junior Nazis around policing these trails, protecting them when they might be wet, maintaining blog and websites to inform riders of the trail conditions.  Seriously, it's been a major win-win here.

it is a great idea and works most places, unfortunately if you throw the federal gov. into the mix it's not near as easy.

Lonesome Dave

You have to go through safety training, shovel training, chainsaw certified, nuclear holocaust training, fire training, rake training (actually that's included in fire training), earth quake training (only if your working in CA), volcano training, and killer bee training just name a few.  It takes several months to get all the training so you can work, then its winter again.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Lonesome Dave

Wow!  I read the whole thing.  FS might have pissed off a sleeping giant.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

A well written response.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dr Psyko

The mountain bikers are an interesting crowd. Tend toward comunity organizers with multiple degrees, or Mountain Dew lunatics. Really Organized!!!

Fletch

The part that irritates me is they seem to feel they are above the rules? For instance if we (DDSR) made our own little single track loop I would imagine we would all have court dates? they just break the laws and then blame the FS? 

greatbuffalo

I can't understand the refernce to tacit or implied permission. When dealing with the government or the NFS you either have written permission or you don't. I read that section several times and still don't understand where they got the idea that they had permission. Do they think that because permission has been granted to other entities for certain purposes that they feel it implies they have permission for there own purpose?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dr Psyko

Yeah, The "tacit or implied permission and" sounds slippery. I wonder if some bikers were up there messing around and a ranger smiled and looked the other way. Maybe a couple of times. Maybe dozens of times. Building MB trails takes alot of time. They are carefully constructed, and done with hand tools (no front end loader going through a single track). The Feds had to know what was going on. Seems tacky to bluster after the fact.