News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

DRZ400 tire selection help!

Started by ShermanTanker, May 17, 2016, 06:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShermanTanker

I was looking to get some tires for my DRZ400, They don't HAVE to be DOT approved but that would be good as I will be riding on the street sometimes. I was looking for suggestions on tires for riding in the hills, does anyone use the Maxxis desert? I have a set of 17" wheels for street use, so good street manners are not a priority. Thanks!

Aaron

Robmicgrn

I am running Maxis Deserts on my 530 currently. They were great in the hills, and do fine on the road/pavement. 250 miles of Moab killed them............... They worked great, but chunked out big time. For a desert tire, the desert ruined them, however, form what I have read, Moab kills tires regardless. I have another set that I am throwing on for the rest of the season in the hills.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

ShermanTanker

Did they only chunk after going to moab? How where they just in the hills? Thanks for the information!

Aaron

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Robmicgrn

Quote from: ShermanTanker on May 17, 2016, 11:35:43 AM
Did they only chunk after going to moab? How where they just in the hills? Thanks for the information!

Aaron

They were fine in the hills. I would/am running them again.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

ZIGGY

I've run the Maxxis Desert IT on the rear of the Beta 400rr. It's a good tire for the Hills. Holds up great and the chunking was minimal. Seems like after the first ride the tire gets slightly harder and wears better. Only problem if it's an issue is it's non DOT.

Another good DOT tire for The Hills is the Kenda Parker DT K772. Love the front, 4th one I've had. Rear is nice too, stiff sidewalls, decent wearing. I think the Maxxis rear hooks up a bit better, although the Kenda can usually be found for a bit cheaper.
http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/mxoff-road/parker-dt/

ryani

I had amazing mileage out of this front tire on my klx.  Pirelli scorpion pro. DOT rated. hooks up very well. Ran 10-12psi

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5168/i/pirelli-scorpion-pro-all-terrain-enduro-front-tire

Used this for the first time in Moab with a high recommendation from a buddy that has used them on his KTM.

I love tire!  It worked great in all situations in Utah.  Still looks great and ill be using it at the spring rally. NOT DOT rated. ran 8psi

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/37783/i/sedona-mx907hp-hard-pack-rear-tire
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

ZIGGY

I think I'm going to give that Sedona rear a try next. Only heard great things about it. That and they're decently priced.

Hank

I was really happy with my Sedona in Moab.  It definitely took a beating, but that's Moab.

Sent from my TRS-80

ryani

Here's what mine looks like from 3 hard days at moab plus 7-8 rides on some dirt trails before that.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

tannerc

I have been running a Sedona 907 for the last year and it has held up great. it's my first one, I put on at the beginning of last riding season. We will see if it continues to hook up as well as it does as it gets wore down a bit. Jeff Slavens seems to love them.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

ShermanTanker

Well I pulled the trigger on some Sesona 907 HP's.  ;D

ShermanTanker

I had a great time out on the trail last weekend, the tires did great until I got into some gumbo style clay mud and then it was a nightmare. My dad burned out the clutch on his TW200 and we ended up pushing it 200 yards with both wheels locked from all the jammed up clay. The DRZ faired much better.

greatbuffalo

No tire is gonna handle the gumbo crap. I do my best to stay away from it or tuen around when I encouter it. A Buell on the TSDAT suffered the same ckutch fate for the same reason.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

I put a Sedona 907 on the two stroke and did my first hard ride today. Mixed review... this is a pretty stiff sidewall, especially for 225 lb bike. I was running 9 psi, seemed like the rear end was bouncing all over in high speed stuff.

Once I got in the rocky/rooty slower stuff then it does seem to hook up pretty well. Maybe the sidewall will break in a bit after a couple rides. I'm coming off a Pirelli Scorpion MX, which I ran at 10-12 psi. That tire feels a lot softer.

I think Slavens likes the Sedona because you can run it at 4-5 psi with tubliss... and it seems to last a bit longer than other tires in the rocks.